The alias could not be opened

Reaction score
Hi,

I have three computers over a wifi network. One OSX (10.4), one Windows XP :eek: :eek:, and one Linux Kubuntu.

I am just starting to try and network them together.

My Mac can see the other machines on the network, however I get an error every time I try to connect:

The alias "xxx" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found.

Delete Alias, Fix Alias, OK.

All options lead to a dead end. "Ok" ignores it. Fix Alias opens up Finder. Delete Alias says The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges. (I have admin rights)

I would appreciate any assistance in networking the machines, please.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
When the prompt asks for the user name put in something else or leave that field blank. I don't think it would work if a password is required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
I noted the same the same error in iPhoto for any photo i modify with NX2 and put back into iPhoto. I looked in the "originals" folder inside my iPhoto library and found hundreds (thousands?) of alias's - many of them going to pictures i know i deleted. What is up with iPhoto? is there an "index" problem? i have almost 25,000 photos at 100GB (backed up on 2 other drives) but this is scary. Maybe time to get off iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i might give it a test try. Thank you for the quick response. I never erased any files from the iPhoto library folder that would cause the original to be gone and the alias to still be in iPhone app. I just tested a few pics. moved them to desktop, changed the name, imported back to iPhoto - moved desktop file to trash -and no problems. this intermittent "alias can't find original" is what is confusing. if it was consistent i would understand how it happens and could work with it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.