.gif images in photoshop

Reaction score
Sometimes I'll create a .gif image in illustrator and I want to bring it into Photoshop. For some reason Photoshop will not allow me to open a .gif file.
Why not, and how do I fix the problem w/out having to change my .gif's to .jpgs every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You cannot save .gif images in Illustrator. What file format are you saving in in Illustrator - EPS, AI, PDF?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hmmm... I just tested this. My copy of Photoshop CS2 happily opens GIFs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Are you doing "open with" or simply "open"?

The time I had a problem with PSCS2 it quit opening JPEG files. Trying to fix it for quite a while one day, tried many things and finally downloaded "ONYX" and used that software to clear the program cache's and other little things that I guess OSX needs done from time to time.

You may want to give that a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I usually just copy and paste everything from illustrator to photoshop. Saves a lot of mucking around, and no loss of quality.

Another way of testing if the image will open in photoshop or not, is to drag the file onto the dock photoshop icon.

Alexis, he probably meant exporting as a .gif from illustrator. While you can't 'save as' a .gif, I'm fairly sure you can choose 'export' and do it that way ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.