sufficient privileges?

Reaction score
I just got my new macbook (2.0ghz, 1gig ram, etc) about a week ago to replace my old desktop and everything has been running smoothly until now. Here's my problem: I bought an external hard drive enclosure so I could keep all my music from my PC and also to use as some extra storage, so I hooked it up and the mac recognized it fine and I can see and run all the files on the hard drive. Problem is I can't delete any of those files, when I try to it says operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges. Also I cannot put any files on the drive.

I've searched all over for a solution and I've found a lot of people on other sites asking similar questions but I haven't found any real solution yet...so any help would be great. Thanks.

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me but with my music folder. It turns out that I had locked it. check the folder options and unlock it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is the drive formatted NTFS or FAT32?

OS X can read NTFS but cannot write/modify/delete files.

OS X can have full control over files on a drive formatted FAT32 (or FAT16).

if this is the problem, you have a couple options if you want to use it on a mac.
- reformat the drive FAT32 for the greatest access by all operating systems.
- format HFS and use a program on windows to access the mac format (the name of the program escapes me at the moment).

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i had a similar issue, luckily i had a couple external drives, between this and the space on my new (at the time) mac, i was able to shuffle things around to get both external drives formatted from NTFS to FAT32.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.