organizing, post processing...

Reaction score
I have a Canon rebel Xti, and use Image Browser, and DPP, which came with the camera. I've just got back into Mac (previous was a Performa 6400 circa 1997!). Is iPhoto better to use than Image Browser for importing/organizing photos? Should I move up to Aperture? Is Photoshop Elements for Mac worth it? (I don't really want full blown PS) Is there any other software similar to PSE for Mac, which would be roughly equivalent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Photoshop Elements, or something like it, is an almost critical investment if you are serious about image editing. If the money is an issue, there is a freeware editor of similar capbality, called GIMP. I would definitely recommend getting one or the other and then investing some time into them. Both are complex tools that take time and effort to master. You can buy lots of "how to" books for both of them.

As to whether iPhoto is better than Image Browser, I cannot answer that. It depends on your definition of "better". iPhoto is a very capable image organizer, with some limited but surprisingly effective, editing tools. My personal opinion is that PSE and iPhoto together are a pretty good combination.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Photoshop Elements as a browser? No. As an editor. Yes.

Aperture as an image browser, or more specifically a Digital Asset Management tool. Absolutely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.