Partition internal HD on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook.
Afternoon ... i'm on the verge of selling my Mini and getting a 20in iMac next week and am wondering how straightforward it is to partition the 250G drive into 1x160G and 1x90G. The reason is that i already have a 160G external F/W drive which i want to use with SuperDuper! to backup the OS partition, so i want it to be the same size. I would then use the other 90G partition just for general storage etc. Are there any issues with doing this? Do i just bring up the Disk Utility before i install OSX and partition it, then install OSX into the 160G? Thx for any info. Only recently moved to Mac so thought i'd better ask :/

Danny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yep.

It's just as easy as you described. I'd recommend partitioning using the Install Disk, however. Just put in the disk when your iMac first gets set up, then, when it loads, click "Utilities" on the menu bar and choose Disk Utility. Partition it to what you'd like and go through the installer.

Welcome to the Forums!

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook.
Thanks, i thought it couldnt be very complicated but best to ask on the off-chance there's something i needed to know. iMacs are so beautiful i go to the apple.com.au/store site every nite and stare at them. My lust must be consummated :spook:

Reaction score
I want to do the same, what would be a good recomendation for partition size since the 2nd partition would be used for data storage for photos and mp3s?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thanks, i thought it couldnt be very complicated but best to ask on the off-chance there's something i needed to know. iMacs are so beautiful i go to the apple.com.au/store site every nite and stare at them. My lust must be consummated :spook:

I know how you feel. The apple.au store is going to get a lot of my hard earned cash very soon.

And if you're just using the 2nd partition for photos and mp3's, I think 30GB would be heaps. That's just my opinion.

My 3161 tracks on my itunes library only take up 12.65 GB. But that's at 128kbps. I'd guess that that many would be around the 20 GB rate at a better compression rate. Which leaves you 10 GB for pics. Which I think is heaps. Then you can edit the 30GB value if you think you'll have more/less tracks than I do.

What does everyone else think about my value here?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook.
I want to do the same, what would be a good recomendation for partition size since the 2nd partition would be used for data storage for photos and mp3s?

I would think it depends on your usage patterns really, how many huge apps you might have installed etc., but most people should be able to get away with 10-15G for OSX/apps etc. and the rest could be for storage. Also of course you need *separate* storage for the whole drive outside the computer (ext. drive or across a network etc). just in case :headphone

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook.
Well since my primary aim is to equalise the size of the OSX partition with the size of my ext. F/W drive (160G) so i can use SuperDuper! to incrementally backup the whole thing o/night, i'll just store whatever else i need to on the remaining 90G. Probably my 30-odd GB of music and some video files etc. Plus i store most of it across the network on another comp. as well.

And if you're just using the 2nd partition for photos and mp3's, I think 30GB would be heaps. That's just my opinion.

My 3161 tracks on my itunes library only take up 12.65 GB. But that's at 128kbps. I'd guess that that many would be around the 20 GB rate at a better compression rate. Which leaves you 10 GB for pics. Which I think is heaps. Then you can edit the 30GB value if you think you'll have more/less tracks than I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Well since my primary aim is to equalise the size of the OSX partition with the size of my ext. F/W drive (160G) so i can use SuperDuper! to incrementally backup the whole thing o/night, i'll just store whatever else i need to on the remaining 90G. Probably my 30-odd GB of music and some video files etc. Plus i store most of it across the network on another comp. as well.

To use the SuperDuper on a ext. HDD, is it mandatory that the partition size is the same as the ext. hdd size?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

30GB would be cutting it quite close for me. I have 20GB of music and 9GB of photos. According to your calculations, that would only leave me with 1GB of room to add more photos and music ;)

I say the more storage space the better. I would much rather have more than I need than find out I ran out later. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I agree with Kash. Music, Photos and maybe the odd video are BIG consumers of space. Personally, I am over 40 GB with this stuff. I would leave a lot of room for this sort of thing, say 50 GB to 60 GB. Even then, you may come to regret not leaving more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I didn't even bother mentioning my video collection. I'm currently at 80GB minimum of video files, with another 100GB+ being rotated on a regular basis (backing up DVDs and whatnot).

My PC has 718GB of hard drive space and it's not enough ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.