Roland RD-30 Audio Interface Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
I recently got a ROLAND RD-30 2-channel audio interface. It allows me to both input and output digital audio or Mic/Guitar using USB to an iBook.

The problem is, when I try to send audio from the RD-30 to the iBook there is lots of noise and the audio sounds 'phased'. I have tried using Reason, GarageBand and Peak with the same results.

Any ideas?

Jerry

R

RobDreugan

typically when there's phase cancellation that means another microphone or something giving off a polar pattern is conflicting with the first mic..

Without knowing more info I'm kinda guessing here.

I have to assume your inputs are balanced, so that should be one thing to eliminate as a source of noise. You've got yer preamps up to the proper level, and the system isn't using trying to use a software preamp. (I'm kinda going by how I use an OO2 protools station)

What you should try if you can...if you could record some audio w/o being hooked up to the computer, then you could possibly figure out if it's a setting for the roland, or the software in the imac.

I wish I could be more helpful, i've just never used the roland system and I'd need to know more info before I could think up some other ideas.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Thanks,

I can monitor the audio in the Roland and it's clean. Even with nothing hooked up t the inputs of the Roland, I get noise into the laptop. I did actually get it to clear up for about 10 minutes yesterday but when I restarted the audio application, the noise came back.

I am wondering if the Roland is bad. It does the same thing on both the iBook and the Powerbook.

Jerry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.