NO MACROS in Office 2008!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't know whether I've got the full picture here, but according to a post on TUAW the next version of Office for the Mac will NOT SUPPORT MACROS.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/21/no-visual-basic-in-office-2008-no-thanks/1#c3547606

It won't support VB macros, that doesn't mean you can't use Applescript to build macros (as I understand it). Still, this makes MS's efforts in development of Office:mac look even more half-hearted than it did in previous versions. Let's not even get into the lack of Access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Eh, I never used macros anyway. I'll just be glad that when it comes out I'll have a Universal version of Office :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Eh, I never used macros anyway. I'll just be glad that when it comes out I'll have a Universal version of Office :black:
It's not that you don't use them, it's that other people (re: Windows People) DO use them. That makes the Mac one thing: incompatible. For home use it doesn't make much difference. For business use, it makes all the difference in the world. If your boss or customer (re: people who have little "understanding") sends you something you can't open because you use a Mac, how well will that go over?

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
As long as I can still open the Word and Excel files I'm sent I'm sure there'll be a workaround for the lack of macros.

(I can't use any of the Mac Office alternatives because they don't fully support Word formatting and styles.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.