10.5 upgrades

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Does (or did for 10.4) Apple normally give free upgrades to people who purchase a new computer within a certain period of time immediately preceding the release of the new OS?

Just wondering, talk is of a March release and I have been thinking of replacing an older windows laptop with a Macbook Pro...but I am in no hurry so would rather wait until 10.5 is included in the price. As I was looking at them today, wondered if people purchasing systems a month or two before 10.4 was released were able to upgrade for free.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Does (or did for 10.4) Apple normally give free upgrades to people who purchase a new computer within a certain period of time immediately preceding the release of the new OS?

Just wondering, talk is of a March release and I have been thinking of replacing an older windows laptop with a Macbook Pro...but I am in no hurry so would rather wait until 10.5 is included in the price. As I was looking at them today, wondered if people purchasing systems a month or two before 10.4 was released were able to upgrade for free.

Discounted copies to recent buyers has been done before.

It is extremely likely that Leopard will be out about a months time, I base this on the fact that I received my new MacBook Pro this morning and they'll probably offer the discount to anyone buying within a month of the release date. ;)

(I have a long history of buying just before the new stuff comes out!)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I believe the standard is within 2 weeks of the release...

The OS is relatively inexpensive compared to Windows...

I believe the full retail price is around $129 (USD)

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Thanks, I looked at .mac for any information on that sort of policy and could not find it.

Will already 'need' to buy a copy for the desktop (need in quotes due to it not really being a need) but will just postpone the laptop purchase at least a few more weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I'm pretty certain there's a two-week grace period. That's the way it was for Tiger updates anyway. There's probably some information with a simple forum search. I'd be surprised if it wasn't discussed last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
It is two weeks for sure. Have been told that by Apple staff when I used it myself and they said it is not advertised externally at all.

Reaction score
Is that two weeks for discounted upgrade? Or is it two weeks for free upgrade? If it is for free upgrade, will they have an extended grace period for discounted upgrade (if they even do this)?

Reaction score
Anyone know if Leopard will come with the same software that the current systems include (like iLife, etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
iLife doesn't ship with the retail copies of Tiger. You have to buy it separately. iLife, however, DOES ship with new Macs.

There have been rumors that Apple might bundle iLife 07 with Leopard, but then again, there are so many rumors flying around that you really can't tell for sure whether this is true or not.

Reaction score
I bought a power mac g5 a couple weeks before Tiger came out and then I got a coupon from apple to buy tiger for $9.99

Reaction score
I just asked this from a person at Apple UK. e told me about the 2 week period last time, but had nothing to tel about the release date for Leopard so working out 2 weeks before is hard. I think I'll wait for hardware until it come out though.

mind you, Vista was much worse. It was in the pipeline and being announced for so long and then, for many, was a waste of money too. The complete full version was near £250 and that's a lot of cash.

Reaction score
Why hasnt a release date been set yet? It would be nice to at least get an idea, 1 mth, 3 mths, 6mths, or a year?

Who does Apple get to Beta the product? At least with Windows, everyone gets a hand at fixing issues.

Reaction score
Maybe Apple will release Lepoard with the iPhone in June. Thats my prediction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.