• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Quicken 2007 for Mac - is this a joke?

Reaction score
I've been using the Windows version of Quicken for the last decade, so when I bought an iMac (my first Mac) a few weeks ago, I picked up Quicken to go along with it.

What a COMPLETE PILE OF GARBAGE. I'm not talking about the missing features; how about:

- constant crashing
- eating downloaded transactions - just this morning, I downloaded 5 transactions into Mac Quicken. Then, immediately afterwards I downloaded 7 transactions into Windows Quicken. Windows Quicken reconciled, Mac Quicken was off by the two missing transactions.
- the interface is horrible. Every single window is broken apart, so when I'm in Quicken I literally have 6-7 tiny windows to try to get anything done.
- the reconcile method is straight from version 6 of Quicken, which came out in 1996. You've been able to auto-reconcile against the online balance for YEARS in the Windows version. Here, you have to type the balance in.

And for this, you get to pay DOUBLE what the Windows version costs just so you can run it natively on a Mac. Actually, scratch that, it's not really running "native", since Quicken 2007 isn't a universal binary despite being released in August/Sept. of '06.

I am MORE than disgusted with Intuit over this product. Unless they are completely redoing it for Quicken 2008, they might as well just kill this thing.

In the meantime, I'll continue to run my Windows version of Quicken in Parallels, but I won't spend another dime with Intuit until they put out a USEABLE Mac version!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I may need to try out Quicken for Windows then, as it's been umpteen years since I've used it. I've been using, Quicken for Mac for quite a few years and don't have any issues with it, and haven't noticed its limitations (again that's probably because I don't know what I'm missing) so I'm curious to know why everyone complains about the lack of features. I do wish I could manually match a downloaded transaction to one in my register, because occasionally this bit doesn't work right, and I believe that may be a feature available in the Windows version.

I've never had Quicken for Mac crash on me, nor have I had any downloaded transactions eaten.

Quicken for Mac does have one nifty feature that can't be in the Windows version, and that's the backup to .mac feature. 'tho I could certainly learn to live without it...

OP
R
Reaction score
One thing I didn't mention because it is a "feature" and I promised not to slag it on features, but there doesn't appear to be any way to change your register to single-line. I was incredulous you can't do this, the Windows Quicken has had this feature for the last 12 years! It wastes a phenomenal amount of space, which is irritating because I like to see my pending transactions about 1 1/2 months into the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I've heard the same.. I use it and it crashes once in awhile, but then I figured out the problem.. when reconciling, wait until it's done before closing the window. Once I did that, I don't have crashing issues anymore, but then again Im still using 2004 since Intuit's idea of an upgrade is pretty sad. There have always been a lot of complaints about Intuits support of the Mac, definitely well-founded complaints.

Reaction score
Not to add insult to injury but....

I use Moneydance 2007. It runs on Windows/Linux/Mac and it only cost me $30. I bought the 2005 version and have been downloading free updates ever since. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but I only use the electronic register and online banking anyway. It works perfectly with my bank as well.

OP
R
Reaction score
Not to add insult to injury but....

I use Moneydance 2007. It runs on Windows/Linux/Mac and it only cost me $30. I bought the 2005 version and have been downloading free updates ever since. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but I only use the electronic register and online banking anyway. It works perfectly with my bank as well.

The one killer with Moneydance is I couldn't see a way to show future-dated transactions in the same register as the current/past transactions. This is critical so I can get a clear view of how much money will be in my account X weeks into the future based on my obligations.

Reaction score
RichP, as I said, I don't use much more than just the electronic register and online banking. I did just take a look for what you are wanting and I found an extension called "Balance Predictor" that creates a graph based on past transactions and scheduled reminders. Does this sound like what you are looking for?

Reaction score
It's all about expectations.

If yo want more features they just released a new version of Quick Books for the Mac which has incorporated all the features previously available only for the PC version but sounds like you don't need all the Quick Book features or the price tag.

OP
R
Reaction score
RichP, as I said, I don't use much more than just the electronic register and online banking. I did just take a look for what you are wanting and I found an extension called "Balance Predictor" that creates a graph based on past transactions and scheduled reminders. Does this sound like what you are looking for?

I'll check it out, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.