resize image - smaller file size ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
hey there

is there an easy quick way to get a copy of an image down to under 1mb

for example i take a picture of a pet and its 3-4mb when at 8mp but i only want it for myspace.

how can i resize the size of the file.
cheers
chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The easiest app I know of for this is ImageWell. See:

http://www.xtralean.com/IWOverview.html

Of course, it is FREE! It does a nice job of resizing, and the interface is very simple to use... and it shows you the size of the file as you resize. Should be just what you are looking for?

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks. iw ill check that out now. cheers mac57

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats perfect. thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
If I understand what your after, another way is to simply open your image by double clicking it ( this will open it in preview), then simply save as, You will be given options as to where you want to save the image, what you want to save the image as and what type of quality, which will change the image size.

Take a look at this one from 2.7Mb to 144Kb.

example.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Excellent point Reel1. I was thinking about "size" as pixel dimensions. You can of course use any variety of tools to simply change the quality setting or the format of a particular file to reduce its file size without reducing its pixel dimensions. This doesn't quite invalidate my answer though ...phew!... ImageWell will do this as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
:) Your answer was great mac57, just another option. One can never have too many options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
You're best of always sizing down to the actual pixel dimensions you want first. I knew a guy who only ever did changed the compression quality and scaled the image using HTML attributes on the IMG tag ... suffice to they they looked dreadful.

Compression artifacts and a larger pixel size, IMHO, look much worse than a well scaled picture. If it's a photo, you might also find they increasing sharpness and saturation on the reduced size image makes them look better still (of course, you'll need tools to do that).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Compression artifacts and a larger pixel size, IMHO, look much worse than a well scaled picture. If it's a photo, you might also find they increasing sharpness and saturation on the reduced size image makes them look better still (of course, you'll need tools to do that).

I 2nd that. Heavy compression looks more like a lack of control, than a design choice. Scaling the image down is a much better way to go. People that are viewing images on websites want it to fit in the screen, and won't really care if they can see the highlights in someone's eyes or not. So long as you scale it down to a size that the subject remains recognisable, all will be well. Just don't add heaps of compression to that afterwards. A jpeg that fits comfortably in the screen could be anywhere between 80-200kb (roughly...)
A better quality image generally only adds a small amount to the overall file size, so there's very little reason to compress a lot.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I understand what your after, another way is to simply open your image by double clicking it ( this will open it in preview), then simply save as, You will be given options as to where you want to save the image, what you want to save the image as and what type of quality, which will change the image size.

Take a look at this one from 2.7Mb to 144Kb.

thanks gd tip :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
The answer to use Preview was almost right. Open the picture in Preview, then go to Tools>Adjust Size. Resize the picture to what you need. Then go to Save As and choose the picture type (JPEG, TIFF, etc) and save the new image.

You wanted a quick way and I don't think they come any quicker!!

As with many things on a Mac you don't need extra software, most of what you need is already on board.

Reaction score
resize an image file

The answer to use Preview was almost right. Open the picture in Preview, then go to Tools>Adjust Size. Resize the picture to what you need. Then go to Save As and choose the picture type (JPEG, TIFF, etc) and save the new image.

You wanted a quick way and I don't think they come any quicker!!

As with many things on a Mac you don't need extra software, most of what you need is already on board.

Now THAT is an answer from someone who really know his Apple!!
Thank you - this was exactly what was looking for!! Simple, easy and no extra software.
You change the pixels and it shows you this file size immediately.
Only one word of caution:
In preview there is no "save as" only "save a version" that saves it on the same name that you opened it with. So if you want to re-name it to keep the 2 different size files make a "duplicate" then rename the duplicate.

Thanks,
Sandra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
In preview there is no "save as" only "save a version" that saves it on the same name that you opened it with. So if you want to re-name it to keep the 2 different size files make a "duplicate" then rename the duplicate.

I have not needed to resize since Lion and forgot about Save a Version. You don't need to use Duplicate though. Just use Export and pick a new name. If you are changing the file type as well you do not of course need a new name as the extension will change.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.