Ethernet Problems On G4 Imac

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having problems connecting to LAN and Internet using both DHCP and Manual IP configs. I pulled the ethernet cable from another mac that was online and on the network then straight into the Imac and it's not working. It goes on momentarily then off and then between very limited, and no connection at all.

If I open safari it doesn't show the "not connected" dialog, the connection is showing up as active with all green lights in the network wizard. It appears it is receiving very limited connection as the name of the website appears on the top of the browser window but none of the content is showing correctly. This is the same on different sites. I have no network functionality at all.

All the info is correct including DNS servers etc in network prefs.

All replys would be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
What kind of Mac do you have? I had this problem initially with my PowerMac G5. It has two LAN ports on the back, and I was plugged into the wrong one. Any chance that this could be your problem? I know that this is an iMac and Mini forum, but I have to ask just in case this has been posted in the wrong forum.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes I have experienced this with G5's myself as well.

Unfortunately this is not going to be so easy! The computer I am having problems with is an Imac G4 700mhz.

Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
OK then, lets dig in a little. What does the Network preferences panel show? Are you getting a valid IP address? Do you appear to have DNS servers set up? Has a gateway address been provided?

Do you have any content blocking software installed?

Using Terminal.app, can you type this in:

ping www.google.com

and get a response? If you do, your connectivity and your DNS are all set up right and we are looking at a web browser issue of some sort.

By the way, does your problem resolve itself if you turn your firewall off briefly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.