Software Update receipts

pod

Reaction score
I notice in 'Libraries' there is a folder named 'Receipts' which 'I think' show which Software Updates have been downloaded and when. Do I need to keep this 'Receipts' folder and its contents? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
/Library/Receipts/ contain important information about software that has been installed on your computer, and they are best left in place.

Trashing receipts will not cause crashing or catastrophic data loss, but it will affect your ability to check permissions. Disk Utility requires one of these receipts--BaseSystem.pkg--to verify and repair permissions on your startup disk.

I would rather leave it untouched.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Like Novicew suggested, just leave the receipts folder and it contents alone. Unless you are having a problem with updating one of the application. If you remove the contents of the receipts folder, you will not be able to repair permissions and update any of your software.

There was an article in MacHome that suggested you delete the contents, which caused major problems with all of the readers' systems.

Basically the receipts shows what version of software that is on your system (if you use the Apple installer), the permission on the folder structure of the application. The date and time the software was loaded.

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
Thanks all... I thought they were literally 'receipts' telling me what and when had been downloaded/updated... i'll leave well alone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.