Copying files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.6.? - 2.5 GHz Intel G5 - 2 GB RAM
I use a USB stick to store my work but for some reason occasionally when I go to copy work across to it, the copying progress bar will come up and stay like that forever. I can't cancel the transfer, and if i relaunch the Finder, it will quit it and then not open back up, and then my computer just sits there with nothing running at all. I can't even log off because the copy thing wont let me. I need to turn it off and back on the try again, and sometimes this happens like three times in a row before it successfully works.

These are word files too, no bigger than 100kb... Anybody got any ideas on how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Is it a cheap, no name USB stick?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
How big is the memory stick vs. the size of the files you are trying to copy? Could you be overflowing the stick?

Can you copy single small files one at a time, or does this happen for any files?

Do you have more than one memory stick? It would be nice to know that this isn't a generic issue with your USB port vs. a problem with what you have connected to that port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
are you trying to copy a file over 4gb? any mem stick ive seen is more or less formatted fat32, and that could be the issue?

Reaction score
I can't even buy a 4Gb USB stick here yet ... everyone stocks the 2Gb but no-one has the 4Gb!

Are they making 4Gb + USB sticks already?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am just copying one microsoft word file which is under 100kb to a USB stick which is 1gb. The brand is "Legend". Bought in Australia, if you haven't heard of them (I dont know if they are an international brand).

I am using a USB port on the side of my computer, so power flow shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: Oh, and there is under 30mb of stuff actually on the USB too

Edit again: I have just changed to format of this USB to FAT32, it was FAT16 before... I really don't know what the difference is, but I've never heard of FAT16 before, hopefully it helps :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah I'm still getting this problem :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.