Save Me From Hating Os X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Im really going to need your help for this.

I am a month-old Mac switcher (MacBook Pro, YAY!!!), and i was recently playing around with the speech recognition, I set it up to recieve commands without hitting esc, or having to say a keyword, I also set it up to do the expose features through voice recognition, along with voice comands for different tools in Photoshop and controlling Firefox.

Everything was running smooth, until one day, the little speech icon decided to dissapear without my input.

NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM:

After realizing what hapened, I went directly into the speech section of my system preferences, but nothing was changed, speakable items was still turned ON, and my commands were set to work without the need of a keyword. I tried to turn "Speakable Items" off, then on again in order to see if the speech icon came up again, but it didnt. I addition to that, i went into the terminal and typed "killall Dock" to see if that did anything. I also tried restarting my computer several times with no avail.

BUT THAT'S NOT IT:

Now my computer crashes when I press the "Calibrate..." button.

I URGE ANYONE TO PLEASE HELP ME! THE LACK OF SPEECH CONTROL IS SIGNIFICANTLY RUINING MY EXPERIENCE WITH OS X. I DIDNT PAY $2000 TO SUFFER THE DIFFICULTIES A I TRIED TO AVOID WHEN I BOUGHT A MAC.

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
have you tried to reinstall the speech recognition? or i assume it is built into the OS - never used it myself and wasnt aware it had it :)

all computers have issues, OSX has many other good points to let you keep it, unless this was a KEY reason for buying it.....

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Im really going to need your help for this.

I am a month-old Mac switcher (MacBook Pro, YAY!!!), and i was recently playing around with the speech recognition, I set it up to recieve commands without hitting esc, or having to say a keyword, I also set it up to do the expose features through voice recognition, along with voice comands for different tools in Photoshop and controlling Firefox.

Everything was running smooth, until one day, the little speech icon decided to dissapear without my input.

NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM:

After realizing what hapened, I went directly into the speech section of my system preferences, but nothing was changed, speakable items was still turned ON, and my commands were set to work without the need of a keyword. I tried to turn "Speakable Items" off, then on again in order to see if the speech icon came up again, but it didnt. I addition to that, i went into the terminal and typed "killall Dock" to see if that did anything. I also tried restarting my computer several times with no avail.

BUT THAT'S NOT IT:

Now my computer crashes when I press the "Calibrate..." button.

I URGE ANYONE TO PLEASE HELP ME! THE LACK OF SPEECH CONTROL IS SIGNIFICANTLY RUINING MY EXPERIENCE WITH OS X. I DIDNT PAY $2000 TO SUFFER THE DIFFICULTIES A I TRIED TO AVOID WHEN I BOUGHT A MAC.

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Firstly, stop shouting, it won't help.

Secondly use spotlight to find the following files:

com.apple.speech.prefs.plist
com.apple.speech.recognition.AppleSpeechRecognition.prefs.plist
com.apple.speech.recognition.feedback.prefs.plist
com.apple.speech.recognition.recognizer.prefs.plist
com.apple.speech.synthesis.general.prefs.plist
com.apple.speech.voice.prefs.plist

(i.e type 'speech plist' into the spotlight search window)

Now delete them, restart preferences and try the setup again.

If that doesn't work then get back to me.

Amen_Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
all computers have issues, OSX has many other good points to let you keep it, unless this was a KEY reason for buying it.....

Saying that the problem doesn't matter because there are other good features instead probably won't help ...

Anyway, I've been playing around and I think I have a potential solution. You say that the system is still listening even though you can't see the speech icon thing. Well, just say:

"open speech feedback window"

and up it should pop!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Anyway, I've been playing around and I think I have a potential solution. You say that the system is still listening even though you can't see the speech icon thing. Well, just say:

"open speech feedback window"

and up it should pop!

Agreed, try that and see what happens. I for the first time last night messed with the speech recognization thing in Tiger and was quite impressed. Something has gone wrong for sure. Try what Cazabam suggested. If that does not work, please let us know and we will try to help you.

Reaction score
Bumper Bump

Glad i found this thread... exactly the same thing has happened to me, restarting the comp doesnt work.

I have a black macbook... if that helps. May be the same model as yours?

Yeh so any help on the matter would greatly help :)

Cheers guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
dude I didnt even know I had this feature! I am going to go have a conversation with my macbook now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you just got it a month ago, and none of the tricks listed here work, you can call the Apple Care center and they should be able to walk you through it. If not, I would try the Genius Bar if there's one near you. Otherwise, you might need to send it out for a replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.