• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best background vocals ever in a song

M

MacHeadCase

According to you, what are the best background vocals ever sung on a tune?

I'm talking here of background vocals that really make the tune, like if they weren't there the song would be lifeless.

So I'll start...

For me it's Merry Clayton on The Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter. IMO she outperforms Jagger to the point where he is taking the backseat almost, he just can't keep up with her performance.

What is your pick?

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I'd have to quote the refrain from

Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Reaction score
Oh ... it's got me immediately nominating the song that's playing on the radio right now!

"Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I Will | Radiohead

Three harmonies, one awesome song.

Reaction score
O Children, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. It's the London Community Gospel Choir. If you've got kids, it'll make you cry.

Check it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've gotta say that I think the harmonies in "Fix You" by coldplay are pretty awesome (4 part harmonies - and they do them live too).

Otherwise I love the Beatles' harmonic arrangements (Paperback writer anyone?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Aptmunich, I was actually reading that there are nine (9!) vocal tracks on the CD version of the track. Nine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I love the back-up vocals done by Hazel Miller in many Songs performed by Big Head Todd & The Monsters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I am probably going to be shot for this, but any Moldy Peaches song in which Kimya Dawson sings. She is a horrible singer...but GOD I love her voice and her lyrics. I have a soft spot for bad singers with cute lyrics.

Reaction score
Mr. Sandman - Don't know who the artist is. (Metallica might do an awesome version tho')

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Wishes *** Human Nature

At times is this song and others different members of the band do lead vocals and the rest do the back up vocals. And the 4 harmonise just so well together.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
For me it's Merry Clayton on The Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter. IMO she outperforms Jagger to the point where he is taking the backseat almost, he just can't keep up with her performance.

What is your pick?

jeeze... i'd say that were mine too, but i haven't put any thought into it yet.

i'm guessing you're saying this is mainly popular music, and either layered vocals from the same one to three people in the same band or actual backup singers?

my other thought as i was typing this was pretty much anything from queen. i'm in love with my car sticks out to me atm.

nada surf is another good one.

i'll have to think about this. ;)

OP
M

MacHeadCase

On Stina Nordenstam's And She Closed Her Eyes there are two songs where there is a boys' choir singing background vocals that are really beautiful.

The two songs are: Little Star and Murder in Mairyland Park.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

*Snip*

i'm guessing you're saying this is mainly popular music, and either layered vocals from the same one to three people in the same band or actual backup singers?

*Snip*

Not necessarily, eric. Anything goes.
icon10.gif

Another great background vocal is done by Joni Mitchell on her own tune Song for Sharon on her Hejira album. Those vocals are haunting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
prodigy - smack my b**ch up

pink floyd - the great gig in the sky (although i guess technically it is the only vocals... but... well....hhmm i say it counts.)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
did anyone happen to see this at the american grammys?

gnarles barkley . crazy (live at the grammys)

talk about vocals - both lead and background.
just an amazingly brilliant version of this song. sends shivers up my spine, even when i see it low-res like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
If layering counts, then just about anything Elliott Smith did. Emmylou Harris does great backround. But I'd have to agree With Gimme Shelter. That's one bad mother of a song. Even after 9000 listens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.