OS9/X dual boot probs, OSX install probs

Reaction score
so i have this 1GHz eMac that supposedly has the ability to dual boot between OSX and OS9. However, whenever i power it on it sits there as if its loading something and eventually goes to a screen that has a folder with the OS9 finder face inside of it which switches to a question mark, then back to the face, then .... repeatedly. i was told that originally the computer came with OSX and it would boot into OSX, then had the ability to boot from OSX to OS9 as some applications that were needed weren't compatible with OSX. My problem is I have no idea how i'm supposed to boot into OSX or how to make OS9 work and when i try inserting the OSX install disk, all the computer does is sit there at the loading screen. its been up for a good half hour, and the computer doesn't suck so much that that would be necessary so..
can anyone help me on these problems? itd be greatly appreciated :]
thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't remember if the disk had to be partitioned to do this. Try rebooting your system and then holding do the x key as the system tries to boot. Hopefully if you have a good OS X image it will boot into it.

You can also try holding down the option key, which should show you what OSs are available to boot from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The disc doesn't have to be partitioned, OSX and OS9 can boot from the same root directory. When you insert the boot cd/dvd, hold down the C key to tell the machine to boot from it.

OP
willc0de4food
Reaction score
The disc doesn't have to be partitioned, OSX and OS9 can boot from the same root directory. When you insert the boot cd/dvd, hold down the C key to tell the machine to boot from it.

i uh....did. maybe i was unclear when i said "and when i try inserting the OSX install disk, all the computer does is sit there at the loading screen.", but yea.. like i said it starts to boot from the disc and then just sits there trying to. doesn't really make any progress. just has the apple with the spinning circle beneath it.

holding down X, the command button, or X+command doesn't do anything :(
just goes to the same grey screen and then comes up w/the folder with the finder face alternating to a question mark :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.