Advice on how to best setup new computer

Reaction score
I am switiching to Mac from Linux and XP. Currently, my wife and I log in under the same account so neither of us has everything configured as we would like. I plan to create two user accounts and a shared folder for things like music, photos, etc. Is this the best way to set things up for two peope who will be sharing the same computer, much of the data, but like to have certain things different?

Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Yes... IMO it is the best way to have it set-up... Let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

WELCOME TO MAC-FORUMS Andy!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi Andy_Sz, welcome aboard.

You will want to check out my Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide. It contains all sorts of useful information about your new Mac, about how to do things on the Mac that you used to do on Linux, about how to run Linux apps on your Mac, and much, much more. See:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

Let me know if you have any comments, questions, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's quite easy to share files between two users. There's a built in shared folder that you can drag to the left pane of the Finder window and then throw all your music and photos in there. Make sure you create the alias for both accounts and PRESTO, both accounts can have their own unique attributes and still share files. :black:

OP
A
Reaction score
Mac57 - That looks like a great guide. Right now, all our music and photos are on an external hard drive formatted into two 80GB FAT32 partitions. Would you suggest copying them over on my iMac, reformatting the drive into HFS+ and then copying them back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Kash - Can both accounts share the same iTunes library, playlists, etc?

I've never personally tried it, but I'm thinking it's possible if you point iTunes to the shared folder as the default folder for both accounts. Best way to find out is just try it out. If it doesn't work, you can at least share the music if not the playlists.

Reaction score
What I'm hearing here is that the wife and husband can't get along.

Hehehe...j/k.

Good job man! Welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
shared tunes in itunes

yea its possible, and easy, just put the music in a music folder in shared and go to preferences and link itunes to the new folder, enjoy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
sharing stuff between two users is extremely easy and a good thing to do. it also allows you both to have anything that you might consider private locked up in your own account.
-chris

ps. welcome aboard!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.