Screen-Saver

Reaction score
Hello, I work in a College and we have just purchased some Macs for the 1st time. When not in use the Macs just sit at the Login screen. So far I have been unable to apply a screensaver while there are no users on the systems and already we are having some "burn-on" issues. All I would like to do is apply a screensaver at the log-in screen if the Macs are idiling for say 5mins.
Having looked around on the web I cant find any answers. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

new-mac-user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
go into system preferences and there should be a screen saver/desktop section.. once in there you should be able to set a screen saver and also set a time as to when it will start.

OP
N
Reaction score
Screensaver

Our macs are networked so when they are not in use they show the login screen to allow students onto the domain. Its is at this point I would like the screensaver to pop-up when the macs are idiling at the login-screen. I have ofcourse set the screensaver but it only kicks-in if you are logged in (for me anyway).

M

MacHeadCase

Each Mac in our school has screensavers come on but we don't have to log on either. Each station is assigned to one student, through the use of Remote Desktop the admin can see what each student is doing (about 90 workstations). Each Mac can be used by other students though.

Maybe if the students have to log in it prevents the screensaver from kicking in? Not sure about this though...

OP
N
Reaction score
screensaver

Sadly yes screensaver will not kick-in unless someone is logged on. Our eMacs are all imaged so its not a problem to create a new master but i just cant seem to get the screen saver to kick-in when idiling at the log-in screen. If anyone else has any ideas would be appreciated.

~Cheers

T

todd51

Hmm..that does seem like a problem. If it wouldn't be for the different profiles, and just the fact of keeping people off the Macs besides the people that need them I would suggest using Expose for starting the screensaver, then having a password to turn off the screensaver.

This way whenever the student/faculty is done using the computer, they can just simply close out of all the applications, then use Expose to initiate the screensaver, next person sits down and types in the password and they are back on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Don't use the screen saver...use the Energy Saver preferences, and have the systems go to sleep instead.

You'll save both the screens and your electric bill.

OP
N
Reaction score
screensaver

Don't use the screen saver...use the Energy Saver preferences, and have the systems go to sleep instead.

You'll save both the screens and your electric bill.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried this but find that the students assume ths system is off - hit the power button to turn it on but are actually turing it off! Then come chap my door onlyl for me to go switch it on again. So I scrapped that. So, i'm flat out of ideas and cannot find an answer to this on the web. Sorry for keeping this post alive, but its driving me nuts!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
do as technologist said and tape a big sign over the power button that says "try the spacebar first".

OP
N
Reaction score
do as technologist said and tape a big sign over the power button that says "try the spacebar first".

Laughing - I suppose I could but I would really prefer a screensaver. We get lots of visitors and I like the place to look neat and tidy. And if i'm being totally honest i'm surprised this is not as straightforward as it should be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I suspect it's impossible because screensavers run only when set up by individual, logged-in users...their only real purpose is entertainment anyway (they help to burn out LCD backlights.) I don't think you can have one without a logged-in user to enjoy the pretty pictures.

I'm with eric on putting up a sign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Have you tried to contact Apple? As a business customer I assume that you may even have some kind of representative or liaison over there. This does seem pretty odd...

OP
N
Reaction score
I suspect it's impossible because screensavers run only when set up by individual, logged-in users...their only real purpose is entertainment anyway (they help to burn out LCD backlights.) I don't think you can have one without a logged-in user to enjoy the pretty pictures.

I'm with eric on putting up a sign.

I always assumed the screensaver was exactly that - a screensaver to prevent the old 'burn-on' issue which we are having a real problem with - sadly. I am not prepared to pay £10000's for hard/software only to stick signs on them, laughing - I demand a screensaver!
Walmart I may have to contact them its a fair point. I feel there maybe and additional piece of software they may try to sell me - but there is not budget for it.
I'll contact them anyway - cheers.
I anyone else has any suggestions - please do post them up I would be v.grateful.

new-mac-user

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.