• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
The global warming is not directly related to Macs but as global citizens, we all have a responsibility and power to take steps to prevent a possible desaster.

I believe that most of the forum members here are young, dynamic and adventurous. Therefore you are in the best position to make a huge difference by taking simple actions, one at a time. No matter whether you are in the US, China, Iceland or anywhere else on the globe, your actions account for the most part, positive or negative depending on which path you decide to choose. In the spirit of encouraging positive action to prevent global warming, I would like to dedicate this forum to related stories.

Fact: 2000 Scientists from 130 countries are 90% certain that the humans are the main cause of global warming.(include the Video)

Now here are my questions.

What do you think about the whole issue?

In your daily life, what SIMPLE actions do(will) you take to help preventing global warming?

Oh I almost forgot.... I found this video on youtube. I hope you will enjoy it.

Added later for clarity

What causes global warming?
Carbon dioxide and other air pollution that is collecting in the atmosphere like a thickening blanket, trapping the sun's heat and causing the planet to warm up. Coal-burning power plants are the largest U.S. source of carbon dioxide pollution -- they produce 2.5 billion tons every year. Automobiles, the second largest source, create nearly 1.5 billion tons of CO2 annually.

Here's the good news: technologies exist today to make cars that run cleaner and burn less gas, modernize power plants and generate electricity from nonpolluting sources, and cut our electricity use through energy efficiency. The challenge is to be sure these solutions are put to use.

Is the earth really getting hotter?
Yes. Although local temperatures fluctuate naturally, over the past 50 years the average global temperature has increased at the fastest rate in recorded history. And experts think the trend is accelerating: the 10 hottest years on record have all occurred since 1990. Scientists say that unless we curb global warming emissions, average U.S. temperatures could be 3 to 9 degrees higher by the end of the century.

Are warmer temperatures causing bad things to happen?
Global warming is already causing damage in many parts of the United States. In 2002, Colorado, Arizona and Oregon endured their worst wildfire seasons ever. The same year, drought created severe dust storms in Montana, Colorado and Kansas, and floods caused hundreds of millions of dollars in damage in Texas, Montana and North Dakota. Since the early 1950s, snow accumulation has declined 60 percent and winter seasons have shortened in some areas of the Cascade Range in Oregon and Washington.

Of course, the impacts of global warming are not limited to the United States. In 2003, extreme heat waves caused more than 20,000 deaths in Europe and more than 1,500 deaths in India. And in what scientists regard as an alarming sign of events to come, the area of the Arctic's perennial polar ice cap is declining at the rate of 9 percent per decade.

Is global warming making hurricanes worse?
Global warming doesn't create hurricanes, but it does make them stronger and more dangerous. Because the ocean is getting warmer, tropical storms can pick up more energy and become more powerful. So global warming could turn, say, a category 3 storm into a much more dangerous category 4 storm. In fact, scientists have found that the destructive potential of hurricanes has greatly increased along with ocean temperature over the past 35 years.

Is there really cause for serious concern?
Yes. Global warming is a complex phenomenon, and its full-scale impacts are hard to predict far in advance. But each year scientists learn more about how global warming is affecting the planet, and many agree that certain consequences are likely to occur if current trends continue. Among these:

* Melting glaciers, early snowmelt and severe droughts will cause more dramatic water shortages in the American West.

* Rising sea levels will lead to coastal flooding on the Eastern seaboard, in Florida, and in other areas, such as the Gulf of Mexico.

* Warmer sea surface temperatures will fuel more intense hurricanes in the southeastern Atlantic and Gulf coasts.

* Forests, farms and cities will face troublesome new pests and more mosquito-borne diseases.

* Disruption of habitats such as coral reefs and alpine meadows could drive many plant and animal species to extinction.

Could global warming trigger a sudden catastrophe?
Recently, researchers -- and even the U.S. Defense Department -- have investigated the possibility of abrupt climate change, in which gradual global warming triggers a sudden shift in the earth's climate, causing parts of the world to dramatically heat up or cool down in the span of a few years.

What country is the largest source of global warming pollution?
The United States. Though Americans make up just 4 percent of the world's population, we produce 25 percent of the carbon dioxide pollution from fossil-fuel burning -- by far the largest share of any country. In fact, the United States emits more carbon dioxide than China, India and Japan, combined. Clearly America ought to take a leadership role in solving the problem. And as the world's top developer of new technologies, we are well positioned to do so -- we already have the know-how.

How can we cut global warming pollution?
It's simple: By reducing pollution from vehicles and power plants. Right away, we should put existing technologies for building cleaner cars and more modern electricity generators into widespread use. We can increase our reliance on renewable energy sources such as wind, sun and geothermal. And we can manufacture more efficient appliances and conserve energy.

Why aren't these technologies more commonplace now?
Because, while the technologies exist, the corporate and political will to put them into widespread use does not. Many companies in the automobile and energy industries put pressure on the White House and Congress to halt or delay new laws or regulations -- or even to stop enforcing existing rules -- that would drive such changes. From requiring catalytic converters to improving gas mileage, car companies have fought even the smallest measure to protect public health and the environment. If progress is to be made, the American people will have to demand it.

Do we need new laws requiring industry to cut emissions of global warming pollution?
Yes. The Bush administration has supported only voluntary reduction programs, but these have failed to stop the growth of emissions. Even leaders of major corporations, including companies such as DuPont, Alcoa and General Electric, agree that it’s time for the federal government to create strong laws to cut global warming pollution. Public and political support for solutions has never been stronger. Congress is now considering fresh proposals to cap emissions of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping pollutants from America's largest sources -- power plants, industrial facilities and transportation fuels.

Stricter efficiency requirements for electric appliances will also help reduce pollution. One example is the 30 percent tighter standard now in place for home central air conditioners and heat pumps, a Clinton-era achievement that will prevent the emission of 51 million metric tons of carbon -- the equivalent of taking 34 million cars off the road for one year. The new rule survived a Bush administration effort to weaken it when, in January 2004, a federal court sided with an NRDC-led coalition and reversed the administration's rollback.

How can we cut car pollution?
Cost-effective technologies to reduce global warming pollution from cars and light trucks of all sizes are available now. There is no reason to wait and hope that hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will solve the problem in the future. Hybrid gas-electric engines can cut global warming pollution by one-third or more today; hybrid sedans, SUVs and trucks from several automakers are already on the market.

But automakers should be doing a lot more: They've used a legal loophole to make SUVs far less fuel efficient than they could be; the popularity of these vehicles has generated a 20 percent increase in transportation-related carbon dioxide pollution since the early 1990s. Closing this loophole and requiring SUVs, minivans and pick-up trucks to be as efficient as cars would cut 120 million tons of carbon dioxide pollution a year by 2010. If automakers used the technology they have right now to raise fuel economy standards for new cars and light trucks to a combined 40 m.p.g., carbon dioxide pollution would eventually drop by more than 650 million tons per year as these vehicles replaced older models.

For more information on hybrid vehicles, see NRDC's hybrid guide.

What can I do to help fight global warming?
There are many simple steps you can take right now to cut global warming pollution. Make conserving energy a part of your daily routine. Each time you choose a compact fluorescent light bulb over an incandescent bulb, for example, you'll lower your energy bill and keep nearly 700 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the air over the bulb's lifetime. By opting for a refrigerator with the Energy Star label -- indicating it uses at least 15 percent less energy than the federal requirement -- over a less energy-efficient model, you can reduce carbon dioxide pollution by nearly a ton in total. Join NRDC in our campaign against global warming.

Source: Natural Resources Defense Council

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sorry to shoot you down in flames, but I'm not doing anything at the moment!

I saw a program about global warming last night though - there are loads of things to fix global warming when it gets serious.

One plan is to put vessels in the southern ocean that just shoot sea water into the air to create fog and reflect sunlight. Another idea is to paint as many roofs as possible white - 3% of land is actually the tops of buildings. Increasing the albedo rate should drop temperatures by about 0.25C.
Plus there are a few more ways to reduce the CO2 in the air - capture and storage underground, 'artificial trees' designed to convery CO2 to oxygen etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I've recently decided to recycle more. As I do all the cooking in our house the kitchen has become more and more "my area" so now I just have to get my girlfriend to join in and off we go. It may be a small thing but it's a start I suppose...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I run my central air conditioning 24/7 with the doors open - that will cool the atmosphere.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Click

Stanford University and Ohio State University found that only 3 in 10 Americans believed that global warming is caused by humans. Less than 40 percent of the nation’s public called global warming is an immediate and serious problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I do believe the problem exists, I do believe that humankind has had influence on the increase of frequency with which it occurs. I don't believe that the effect can be halted or reversed, but it may be slowed if the issue becomes a priority for the governments of the world. I don't believe that the majority of nations will give the focus or attention to which this issue actually deserves, but with that said, I will try to do my part to slow the trend.

What specifically am I doing? I've traded in my SUV for a station wagon that suits my needs but doesn't drink gas. I conserve gasoline by consolidating my errands and limiting my use of the car. Both of my cars are ULEV/LEVs. I conserve electricity and try to be more conscious of my usage. My home already has ultra-efficiency appliances and is well insulated, but I've upgraded to a programmable thermostat which helps me conserve natural gas and the emissions produced by burning it.

Do I actively lobby my government officials or do everything in my power to influence my effect on global warming? No, but I think every little bit helps and it would be great if more people would actually change their behaviors for reasons other than the fact that oil costs put gas prices above $3/gallon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm in that 60% that is not buying it. This is an issue that has been hijacked by the extremists without sufficient science to back it up. While there are plenty of scientists who will tell you disaster looms, there are also plenty who will tell you they don't know why any of this is happening. There was a recent study published that has correlated both the cooling trend for the mid 20th century and the warming trend for the late 20th century to solar activity not human activity. This is interesting because the cooling trend has puzzled many global warming "experts" as it did not fit their models. There are plenty of scientists that will tell you the arctic ice caps are melting at an alarming rate, yet a recent study showed a growth in the glaciers and in Greenland and other studies show a constant growth rate in Antarctic ice. There is sufficient contradictory information to make me extremely skeptical of folks like Al Gore and other alarmists.

That being said, I don't think that pumping tons of harmful chemicals into the atmosphere or dumping then into the Oceans or water supplies is a good thing. This stuff will kill us a lot sooner than Global warming will and regardless of it's environmental impact, it's human impact is to great for us to ignore.

Now, how long will it take for someone to leave me negative rep and accuse me of being a "Global Warming Denier"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
wow, i pretty much agree with everything baggss here just said!

still, i am waiting to read the new report due to come out by that large contingent of scientist whom i believe are from the UN. many of their conclusions point to the human element as a cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've seen An Inconvenient Truth, and it makes some very good points, with scientific research behind it. Global warming is happening. It was between 60-70 this winter up until mid january. When normally, its cold and snowing by mid October.

I think the thing that needs to happen most, is the government needs to push the US automotive industry to build cars that get a much higher MPG rating. And every state should be using CAlifornia's strict emissions rules. But the government won't do anything, because our president is an idiot, and is to worried about clearing brush in his farm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
I'm not completely sold on the global warming issue. In the 70s we were all going to be dead by 2000 due to global freezing. I think that many of these scientist are right to be concerned, but aren't necessarily providing sufficient evidence to support their theories. That being said, I do my part to try and decrease my impact on pollution. I ride a vehicle that gets 80 mpg, and if the weather is nice enough and I have enough time, I'll ride my bike. I'm installing solar panels this spring, not only to save the Earth, but my wallet as well. I don't run air conditioning in my home, living in a 'valley' helps because I'm just assaulted with wind. So opening the windows on the north and south sides of the house has been enough for me. I don't know anyone who doesn't recycle now, it just doesn't make sense not to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I also agree with baggss... IMO it's mostly a bunch of garbage trying to force fed into people from those that make and stand to make a great deal of money from this global "warming" propoganda.

I do how ever believe that we (mankind... not just those of us here in mac-forums :D ) should all try to do our part to keep this sphere clean and a healthy place to live for ourselves and those (generations... not aliens :) ) that come after us.

But when will the cows learn? LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Let's say that everything that the alarmists are saying is true. Let's say that we are the ONLY cause of global warming. Well that's just fine. The bigger issue than the environment is the government having even more authority over its citizens. Just because some type of behavior control could save the environment is not sufficient enough to justify what could only be called a nanny state. People have to voluntarily give up the things that are hurting the environment. Otherwise, nobody would really care how the environment was doing if they hated how they were living.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've seen An Inconvenient Truth, and it makes some very good points, with scientific research behind it. Global warming is happening. It was between 60-70 this winter up until mid january. When normally, its cold and snowing by mid October.

One "warm" Winter is not a evidence of human induced warming, or warming at all, and 30 "cold" winters are not evidence of global cooling. This sort of thing needs to be measured on a much larger scale than "it's awfully warm for January this year". Research continues and scientists are finding many unexpected and "unexplainable" historical events that are very similar to what is currently happening. Do we, in our self centered liberal society, actually believe that we have that great an impact on a planetary system that we know very little about? Is that not the height of conceit on our part?

The planet runs in cycles with many things impacting the climate. The Mini Ice Age that the Northern Hemisphere experienced from the 1300s through the mid 1800s was caused by the planet itself as well as solar activity. It particularly devastated Northern Europe, but had zero to do with humans. Yet if it happened again today, we would all run around worrying about how much we a ruining the planet by causing it to cool. The big fear in the 70's and 80's was global cooling, now it's global warming. What will be the "fad" crisis in 15 or 20 years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Gore's movie shows the full trend of warming since 1970. It is increasing. Look at the data, it shows that the global temp is increasing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Is that not the height of conceit on our part?

ABSOLUTELY!!!

NO different than a time in our history when the smartest among us said "The Sun revolves around the earth".

When that was debunked... there was "We are the ONLY Solar System that exists"

Then... "We are the only Universe"... and on.. and on....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Gore's movie shows the full trend of warming since 1970. It is increasing. Look at the data, it shows that the global temp is increasing.
*Bold emphasis added by me.

Tell me you are kidding.... please... please tell me you are kidding...

You do realize that this planet has been here for 4.5 BILLION years... and You (and Al Gore) are wanting to look at "trends" that have taken place over the last what... 36 years???? Think about that...

ABSOLUTELY ridiculous! Even worse that you describe it as (and I quote) "full trend"...

My calculator won't even compute what percentage that is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me make one thing clear. Climate change IS happening, I simply disagree on the cause of the change. Al Gore's movie was nothing more than propaganda to help you draw the conclusions that he wanted you to draw. I put him in the same group as Mike Moore.

Again, Climate change IS happening. It happened yesterday, it's happening today, it will happen tomorrow. That being said, I'm not going to draw the conclusion that because it was cold and rainy yesterday and warm and sunny today that my SUV, or even cow farts, caused it.

As pointed out above, 36 years of data is not enough to draw a conclusion with any certainty and certainly should NOT be used to set national or global policy, particularly when the scientists involved in this can't even agree amongst themselves about it. The hysteria surrounding this subject has reached almost religious proportions and no one seems to want to listen to those in the scientific community who are suggesting caution based on the available data. Instead there is a movement afoot to crucify them and discredit them despite the data they have, simply because it doesn't fit in with the political movement that has taken over.

Does any of this sound familiar? I seem to recall a story about a guy who was once imprisoned and discredited because he had the audacity to say the Earth was not the center of the universe and in fact revolved around the sun. Good science is only good if looked at objectively (not politically) and only lasts as long until better science comes along and either proves or disproves it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I too agree that there IS climate change going on... at this point (and until there is a DEFINITIVE scientific explanation.. which may never happen) my belief on the matter is that the change is part of the natural ebb and flow of the planet, and not something brought on by man. That is not to say that man is infallible on his part of taking care of this sphere we live on... because IMO he has failed many times over.. but (again IMO) not to the extent that he is actually changing the climate on the planet.

Reaction score
I try and conserve simply because it seems like the responsible thing to do but having said that, a couple of comments: 1) 60% of scientists who deal with earth science say that there is no proof that humans cause global warming 2) NASA used to run a site on their web page that showed which countries produced the most gasses contributing to global warming. I would have chosen the US and industrial Europe as the main source of pollution. In fact, that is not true. The US was one of the leaders in clean air (we clean up better then others). The two top polluting areas are the Western coast of Africa and all of South America. Why? Because lightening starts fires and they burn until they burn themselves out, hence it is a natural thing. 3) I have heard repeatedly over the past month or so about "a consensus of scientists believe global warming is caused by humans." Unfortunately "consensus" is not science. Consensus is a group of people agreeing with each other. 4) Back in (I believe) the 70's a book came out by Rachael Ward in which it was predicted global disaster in 25 years. It is now past that point and it has not happened. I find a lot of people who promote global warming (talking about TV, Hollywood, politicians) seem to do so with an almost semi-hysterical approach. That approach bothers me. 5) (and last) One of the proofs offered is the amount of ice that is breaking off from Antarctica shows the planet is warming. In fact, ice has been breaking off every since we have kept records. I was involved in four expeditions to the South Pole in the 60's and it happened then also. In fact it happens every year. There is the permanent ice and the annual ice. During the summer months the annual ice breaks up and floats out to sea and some of these can be the size of our states. Recent studies have shown Antarctica is, in fact, cooling. In summary, I sincerely think we should slow down and start looking at all aspects of this and not let the above mentioned "cheerleaders" push us into immediate action that may not help us, and may even hurt us in the long run. I instinctively get suspicious when someone begins "pushing" me into immediate action on anything. (Again not you but the national and international promoters of the global warming concept and it being caused by humans). Anyway that is my rant for the day - remember you asked my opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.