Need Help configuring Wireless router with my macbook

Reaction score
Hi, I actually bought my macbook last year (Black, 2 Ghz, 1GB Ram, 80 GB). And well I had another computer at the time. So I had purchased a linksys wireless-G 2.4Ghz router as well. Now the problem is, I cannot use the internet at all when I try setting up a WEP password on the router. The only computer that worked with the password was the computer with the router. So what I had to do was leave my router as an unsecured one. Which worried me alittle due to the fact I knew that people could easily leech off it. I've made many attempts in the past, and everytime I try a WEP password the error I get is like "error with airport" or something to that extent. Now.... about 5 months ago, I had installed bootcamp and installed windows on the mac. When I tried doing a WEP password with this side of the mac it actually worked. But I wanted it to work for my mac as well. I have no idea what the problem is here.... and yes, I know that I am indeed typing in the right key, so no mistake there.
Any help or comments would be greatly appriciated~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
When you type your WEP password, put a $ as the first character. Don't know why, but I had to do the same thing with my linksys wireless.

OP
E
Reaction score
wow! Thanks! It actually worked. Thank you so so much. It was a problem I've been having for a year, and now its fixed.
The reason I had to ask know was because, I have reason to believe some people around me are leeching off my interent. I've been lagging really bad lately, so I just turned of my macbook, and my regular comp. Yet the light on my dsl box kept blinking, meaning someone was using it. Now I feel amazing safer. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Just doing my thing to make it a more Mac friendly world!

Enjoy your full Mac experience now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo
When you type your WEP password, put a $ as the first character. Don't know why, but I had to do the same thing with my linksys wireless.

I just learned this tonight from Linksys tech support. I had the same problem with not being able to secure my network, now I know the trick.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If I remember correctly the $ means to look at the following string as hex string of characters instead of an ascii string of characters.

Reaction score
I seem to be having the same problem, then again I guess not..it didn't seem to work with my Wi-Fi problems, but I have a Telus Modem/Router, and I don't think I have "Fast Dial-up" service. Anyone else have some easy fixes?

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.