which macbook for MUSIC?

Reaction score
I have the macbook white core 2 duo and it is fine more most of what I do. However, for composing, I am sure the pro would be better. Additionally, the screen is just too small for me.

the question is: Is the core duo 2 THAT much faster than the core duo? I can pick up a refurb core duo for so much less dough. Just wondering if there is that much of a speed improvement with the core duo 2?

Thx in advance, JUD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Welcome to M-Fs!

The MacBook will not satisfy if you are doing heavy music production. It doesn't have the power of the MBP.

For music production, I think more RAM would be significantly more useful than a slightly faster CPU. From my experiance with music composition, RAM has always been my weak point.

Perhaps spend the money you would save getting the Core Duo to buy another gig or two of RAM? Also, if you wait a bit longer, a C2D will pop up in the refurbs. That is where I got mine.

I know I didnt specifically answer your question. All I do know is that the C2D is faster. I do not know how much faster it is. Sorry.

Reaction score
Welcome to M-Fs!

The MacBook will not satisfy if you are doing heavy music production. It doesn't have the power of the MBP.

This is completely false! The only advantage the macbook pro has over the macbook is a graphics card, bigger screen, fire wire 800, expansion slot, and all of this is not need for ANY professional music appication.

Music professional software/hardware is uses cpu power to be ran, & the macbook & macbook pro use the same cpu ( intel core 2 duo)

The advantage to the Pro is you can get the 2.33 ghz model, while the fastest for the macbook is 2.16ghz.

Now honestly even the 1.83 ghz intel core 2 duo proceesor found in the most basic model macbook can eat any music sfotware application alive.

Unless your doing professional video editing,maya,programming, etc. the macbook pro is overkill.

I currently work in professional audio recording fascillities & the new macbook is amazing & perfect for all of the software we use.

For the new macbook some good upgrades

: 2 gb ram
: larger internal hardrive @ 7200rpm
: dvi to dvi or vga connection to add an external display

, peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
I have a macbook and a macbook pro, and i do heavy music production. The macbook is NOT powerful enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Putting toghether a MacBook w/ 2 GB of RAM and a bigger HD drives the price up to ~1600. That is how much I paid for the refurbed basic MBP I just bought. And you are getting a faster CPU, bigger screen, DVD-Burner, video card.

It depends on the upgrades you want. Upgrading a MacBook's RAM entails taking out the 2 DIMMs already in the slots. The MBP has a free slot, so you can upgrade at any time.

Reaction score
I am in the same situation. Im going to college for music performance next year and I want a macbook that can handle some recording. I did notice that he said composing not recording. For composing(sibelius and finale.. etc.) the macbook is more than enough. It doesnt take that much from a computer to run notation programs. If you meant recording that is a different problem. I dont need a bigger screen or a video card so I am thinking of just getting the white 2ghz macbook with 2 gigs of ram. I think that should be plenty for recording, but im looking for some reasurance. Any other opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I am in the same situation. Im going to college for music performance next year and I want a macbook that can handle some recording. I did notice that he said composing not recording. For composing(sibelius and finale.. etc.) the macbook is more than enough. It doesnt take that much from a computer to run notation programs. If you meant recording that is a different problem. I dont need a bigger screen or a video card so I am thinking of just getting the white 2ghz macbook with 2 gigs of ram. I think that should be plenty for recording, but im looking for some reasurance. Any other opinions?

If you want the small size and cheaper price, get the MacBook. It really comes down to what you want to pay.

I meant production. Soundscore could have meant composition. You are right, a MacBook should be just fine for composition.

Reaction score
I have a macbook and a macbook pro, and i do heavy music production. The macbook is NOT powerful enough.

Let me end this right here, I still use a 2600xp+ Amd athlon processor with only 1 gb of ram & I'm able to make wonders with my Pro Tools setup.

It's almost redicolous how you people can sit here & have the nerve to say a macbook with an intel core 2 duo for a processor is not a strong enough system.

Also a macbook comes wit a dvd burner as well so I don't know what's all that about?

Upgrading the ram in a macbook will only cost you about $160+ dollars, purchase right from new egg, the ram you took out could esaily sell.

While yes a macbook pro is a very good system & buying a refurbished one is the best way to go, do not doubt the power of a macbook as professional work is being done on them.

It's not an argument these are facts on my behalf, just the other day I seen someone running Half Life 2, Call of duty 3, etc. on a macbook with an intergrated graphics card.

For the one poster who said a macbook is not strong enough, I need him to post specs & the actual audio program he is using that the macbook cannot run.

This is my last comment regarding this issue, the macbook is more than enough for composing & recording professional music

, peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
Then i guess you can call me ridiculous.....

I am a professional musician. I dont have another job...its the only thing I do. I use primarily Logic Pro and/or Pro Tools.

I have both a macbook, and a macbook pro....both with the same amount of RAM (2gb)

The macbook CANNOT handle Logic Pro with anything over 6-8 tracks. "spinning beachball" action constantly.

The macbook pro can handle anything I throw at it.

If your doing recreational recording, (garageband) then the macbook is fine
If your doing professional level recording, then you HAVE to get a MBP, or your gonna be sorely dissapointed.

I realize this is a completely opposite opinion than the previous poster, but....this is one subject that I know very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Go for the Macbook Pro. Buy as much RAM as you can possibly afford. I will be getting myself a MBP by September :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.