OSX seems to be blocking web pages

Reaction score
Hi

I've noticed that Mac OSX seems to be blocking a number of web sites all of a sudden. The ones I've noticed include www.php.net, www.isohunt.com, and www.yahoo.com. Lots of other sites seem to be working normally.

I'm running a G4 Powerbook with Mac OSX 10.4.8, and experience the same problems with both Safari and Firefox. I don't think its a problem with my internet connection, as I have successfully accessed all these sites on my PC which uses the same broadband connection over wifi. Equally, I have also tried to access these sites with my Mac over a connection through my mobile to no avail.

This is the error I get in Safari:

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.php.net/” because it could not connect to the server “www.php.net”.

I can't get any more information than that.

Has anyone got any suggestions, I'd be very grateful. Seems a shame to have to use my PC to look at these sites my Mac has taken an objection to.

Thanks

wicksta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I have tried all three of them and works fine for me. It does seems to be a problem with your internet configuration. Do you have a third party firewall?

OP
W
Reaction score
I do have a firewall on my router but all the other computers on the network share this internet connection and so are behind this same firewall - none of them have problems with connecting to these sites.

I also checked to see if my mac could connect to these sites through a different internet connection, and I had identical problems which is what makes me suspect it is a problem with the mac's configuration rather than the internet connection's.

I'm stumped as to exactly what the problem is though.

wicksta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you're bitorrenting, are you using Peer Guardian? That plays havoc with plenty of websites.

OP
W
Reaction score
Alexis - I hav Peer Guardian installed but it isn't running, I noticed ages ago when I installed it it could cause similar problems, and so my first instinct was to completely close it. In the past that has solved similar problems but in this case it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Pulse-8 - thank you for those links, I shall try them when I get home to see if I can load the sites through them (might indicated a DNS problem if I can?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Even if it isn't running, it still blocks certain website somehow. Use App Zapper to get rid of it and your sites should work again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hey,

I've had the exact same problem of recent. And it's so annoying. I'll try the appzapper trick to see if it works. But I've never bittorrented before. Don't need to. So it's a strange problem.

EDIT: This program doesn't run on 10.3.9. And the alternate ones seem to want 10.4 too. So does anyone have a 10.3.9 solution for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.