New Airport Extreme and NAS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I just read that the new Airport Extreme has a NAS capability - you can connect a USB hard drive to it and it will show up to everything else that is connected as a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive.

This may be the easiest way ever of sharing hard drives between Macs, PCs and *nix?

I did a quick search of "Airport NAS" in these forums but it didn't turn anything up. Has anyone tried this, and accessed the drive from both a Mac and a PC off of the same Airport Extreme? This *sounds* extremely intriging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I just called the local apple store and was told yes it does have NAS capability, ill do some more searching to see if i can find some info on it.. From what the guy said at apple with the airport extreme you should have no problem sharing hard drives between mac and pc.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I read most of the links above. This Airport NAS is great. Just plug in a USB drive, and it is more or less instantly available to both Mac and Windows machines. instant file and disk sharing. You can format the drive for HFS+ and it is still accessible to Windows over SMB. No more FAT32 to share disks between Macs and PCs. That is almost worth the price of the Airport all by itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it actually is quite impressive. I want to do this to share files that I frequently use between my macbook pro and my quad, and my brothers imac.. Like images, and music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I want one also.. just have to talk the wife into it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.