G5 Mac 2.0GHz (model M9590LL/A) or Mac Mini (1.66 or 1.83 GHz)

Reaction score
Hi,

I am still a creature from the PC world so a bit of a Mac noob. I am going to jump into the Mac world so looking for advice. I am considering either the G5 Mac (model M9590LL/A) or the Mac Mini. I found a comparison review (link below), but its from (March '06). I've been told the G5 is a bit dated and to go with the MacMini instead. I can get a good deal on the M9590LL/A, comparable in price to the MacMini. Grateful if anyone can comment further.

.Hardware size is not much of an issue for me. I just want to make sure I pick the best unit in regards to specs, support, etc. I plan on using the Mac mainly for games for the kids, music and video editing. Unfortunately I need to keep my IBM for work related causes.

Thanks in advance. Cheers...//DZ

http://macspeedzone.com/html/hardware/machine/performance_in_the_raw/06/3_18a.shtml

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Can you post the specs for the prospective G5? If it is a PowerMac G5 of a recent vintage, you may find it to be a lot more powerful than a Mini.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Hi Mac57,

the basic specs I have are:

PM G5 2G/512MB/160GB/SD/ENG

Sounds a bit cryptic, but thats the spec I got from a company I deal with.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The computer you listed will be alot faster than the mini. Its a dual 2.0ghz G5 PowerMac. Includes 512MB of RAM, 160GB HD, a Superdrive, and english keyboard, based on the specs you gave.

I would get that computer if you can afford it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...what StretchR said! Go with the G5. It will be much more powerful.

Now you may be thinking "but wait a minute, the G5 is dead ended hardware! Why would I buy dead ended hardware?". This couldn't be farther from the truth. What is the expected service life of the average home/office computer? Less than five years. I *guarantee* that over the next 5 year period, all new software wil come out as Universal Binaries, which means support for both Power PC chip and Intel chip architectures. For validation of this assertion, look to history - Apple's last core transition, from Motorola 68K to PPC. For the expected lifetime of the new computer you are now contemplating buying, you can expect to have access to every existing title that is out there now (without Rosetta interpretation) *and* access to any new titles you may wish to buy.

So, in conclusion.... what StretchR said! :dive:

Gav

Reaction score
' In Performance the Power Mac Dual Core G5 /2.0 GHz is ....

Processor Single - 17% faster
Processor Dual - 16% faster
Graphics Card - 163% faster
Graphics Processor - 6% faster
Graphics Gaming - 200% faster
Copy (many files) - 59% faster
Copy (Single large file) - 27% faster

Photoshop Filters (Dual Tuned) - 376% faster
Photoshop Filters - 141% faster
Photoshop Workflow - 194% faster'

Should have read the article.

But anyway - go for the G5 because its altogether better. Its sexier. Its 64-Bit (whereas the Mini is NOT). The G5 has way better upgrade ability.

However I'm not sure what sort of games your thinking of, but if you need to use Windows at all you will need to get the mini, unless you emulate XP under OS X on the G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gav, excellent information. Could you post a link to the source? I would love to read it! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Gav, excellent information. Could you post a link to the source? I would love to read it! Thanks!

It's the link from the first post :)

Zuly -

If the ability to run windows is not a big deal I'd definitely go with the iMac. It is a much more robust and powerful machine. Heck, I still use two g4s and a g3! and I'm getting along just fine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Bill_Gates (sheesh, that feels strange to say! :dive: )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.