Spam Spam Spam!

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good Spam preventing software that will work with multiple POP mail servers?

I am running MAC OS 10.4.8 and use MacMail for downloading my email from two different servers. One is optonline and the other is from my own domain.

I have a lot of spam coming through my domain's email addresses and have set up about 50 rules in MacMail, but they still keep coming. It's to the point where the messages aren't even sent to my addresses anymore, but to "catchthismail"@mydomain--and their messages are almost mocking:

Call me. Join others like you.
Poor you, I don't even think you know how much spam you recieve.

It's pissing me off! I have now replaced the text "@" symbol in my (Flash) site's pages with an image to, I guess, prevent future spam. But that doesn't stop the old mail which is coming every few minutes!

Has anyone dealt with this problem effectively?

Reaction score
Eliminating SPAM completely means getting rid of email!

I've tried it all.

Usually about every 6-8 months I just change my email addy and notify only those who need to know, delete the old addy and life is good for about 6-8 months. If it gets unbearable...I do it again., Frankly it's really not that much trouble and makes life good for a while.

SPAM is here to stay and nothing I know of will eliminate it completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Does anyone know of a good Spam preventing software that will work with multiple POP mail servers?

I am running MAC OS 10.4.8 and use MacMail for downloading my email from two different servers. One is optonline and the other is from my own domain.

I have a lot of spam coming through my domain's email addresses and have set up about 50 rules in MacMail, but they still keep coming. It's to the point where the messages aren't even sent to my addresses anymore, but to "catchthismail"@mydomain--and their messages are almost mocking:

Call me. Join others like you.
Poor you, I don't even think you know how much spam you recieve.

It's pissing me off! I have now replaced the text "@" symbol in my (Flash) site's pages with an image to, I guess, prevent future spam. But that doesn't stop the old mail which is coming every few minutes!

Has anyone dealt with this problem effectively?

go to both of these sites and search "mail spam". www.versiontracker.com and www.macupdate.com

some of those options may work. who knows if they actually work.. as bones said you are never going to get rid of spam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I make use of Thunderbird rules to more or less completely filter out SPAM.

What I have done is use rules to set up two sender "white lists". If the sender is on one of the white lists (one for personal, one for businesses - Amazon.com for example) I want to keep the email; else I want to filter it out. Each "white list" is a rule that contains a list of valid senders. The rule sets the message priority to Highest or High if the sender of the email matches one of the senders in the rule. Then I use another rule to move anything that isn't of priority Highest or High to my "Suspected SPAM" folder.

Operationally, this means that if the sender of an email is not on one of the two white lists, their email gets moved to my "Suspected SPAM" folder.

I scan that folder now and then, looking for valid senders that I have yet to include on my white list rules. I update the rules when that happens. In practise, I found that I was updating the rules almost daily when I first started. Now however, my white lists are quite complete, and I almost never find real email in my Suspected SPAM folder.

This works very well for me. Could this work for you too? I suspect you could do a similar thing with Mail rules.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.