Hooking up an emac to a linksys router

D

ddzc

Hi everyone, very nice site you guys have up

Anyway im installing a card for an emac. I was told that a WUSB11 Wireless USB adapter works fine with it. When I put the card in, an icon appears, and a menu appears. There's 1 option available stating "open internet connections" A window pops up and asks about a VPN (L2TP over IPSEC) to be configured. Under that theres an option to click to configure the vpn or configure (other)
Under that you have to type the server address, account name, password. Then theres a checkbox to show vpn status and menu bar (deafult checked) Then theres a connect button.

Can anyone help me configure this card and get it working with my router? Any instruction or steps on everything would be great. Especially with the username and vpn. Does vpn have to be installed and what does it do? do I just make an account name up? btw the router is a lynksys 802.11b

More details...

The router is connected to the main pc, and the net works fine off the router b/c I put the network cable in the router instead of the card installed on the pc.

It's setup as 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway is the one that my internet was using, some weird number.
The MAC pc which isn't working is setup as 192.169.1.3, 255.255.2550 and gateway as 192.168.1.1.

DHCP is not installed, static was chosen.

The setup CD that came with it loads, but I can't access any files in it. Is it possible to install pc drivers in a mac os-x?

Anyway, sorry about the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated b/c im new to the mac world :)

Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am not sure where you heard that the WUSB11 would work because there is no linksys support or drivers that would work with OS X....the only apple wireless equipment that works is apples and d-link makes some (netgear might i dont remember)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that you can get the linksys to work. Only you will not get any help from the linksys company. I don't have a wireless card, So I can not help you there. I have a wired linksys router which works find.

You will have to read the directions and interpret for Mac OS X. I don't think there is anything special about network hardware. You should be abke to use any vendors. It is just thats some are eaiser to setup than others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The eMac USB ports are all 1's -- 12Mg/sec not 2's 480mgs/sec. Wireless on the eMac needs to be connected to one of the firewires - 400Mgs/sec ports, using Apple's airport wireless.

OP
D

ddzc

thanks guys..

We'll I know someone that gets parts directly from the wholesaler and he said that it works fine. I also read on the Linksys FAQ's and it says that the card is compatible with macs. I also looked for drivers and I can't find anything. So if it says it's compatible, then where can I get the drivers from? I can't use pc drivers. Im so confused!

For the emacs, there's a built in ethernet adapter in the back. I heard I can hook up a WET11 wireless bridge to it and perform internet access and LAN capabilites b/c it doesen't require drivers to operate. Is this true? should I do it?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
There sure is an ethernet port, actually that sounds like it will work... have you googled it?

OP
D

ddzc

witeshark said:
There sure is an ethernet port, actually that sounds like it will work... have you googled it?

sorry, what exactly do you mean googled it?

Im still confused on why it says that the card is compatible with macs when theirs no drivers available for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Answers are often found here it's actually amazing...

OP
D

ddzc

witeshark said:
Answers are often found here it's actually amazing...

thank. I already checked google and nothing fits my description so I though people from apple forums have probably installed the same setup as me so I made a post about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
ddzc said:
sorry, what exactly do you mean googled it?
Nice reply. All I did was answer this question. How could you not know the answer to this if you had already tried it? I won't be posting to your questions anymore
:rolleyes:

OP
D

ddzc

I''ve never been asked if I googled it before.
I don't need replies from u anyway if ur going to tell me to google it, how dumb and useless is that.

BTW I was asking if a bridge can be used to hookup a LAN, which I never tried before but "heard" that it works which I wanted more feeback on. B/c as you can see, the advice told to me about getting this garbage usb thing isn't working out for me when it should be according to Linksys's website.
Anyway, I have no other alternative to returning this junk, seems like there's no way on getting this thing installed.
Im probably going to get a dlink or netgear, or better off an airport card.

Thx for the help..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
what the language ddzc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.