Can I setup a Wireless USB Hub?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2.3MHz Dual-core - OS X Tiger 10.4.6
Hi there,

Not sure if I'm in the right forum for this question...but I need to create a Video Surveillance System in my house. I am 99.9% sure my 17yr old teenage neighbor is breaking in, and I need video proof. It will also make me feel safer while I'm away. I would like to try to do this with what I've got....a Canon Elura 100 Video Camcorder. The camcorder needs to be plugged in all day, and I need to hook this up via USB, but obviously my USB cord is not going to reach from my G5 to my garage where the video camera needs to be hidden. I think he has a device that can open up garages because I mysteriously find our garage open when I know I closed it - numerious ocassions throughout the year! So I was wondering if I could setup a wireless USB hub in the garage to connect the camera to, which then wirelessly feeds the video image into my computer. I need the hub and camera hidden really well also. I'm going to be using EvoCam software which based on what I've read, my camcorder will work with it and also implements a motion sensor.

Can this be done with a wireless USB Hub? Do i need AirPort for that? Any help on how I can set this up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Valerie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Maybe this would deter your neighbor...

158380826_3ca40cb33f_m.jpg

I don't know how you can use your mac for this wirelessly (doesn't mean it can't be done).. Check out the remote camera's in Costco and Sam's Club...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2.3MHz Dual-core - OS X Tiger 10.4.6
ha i wish...nothin' seems to scare this teenager, lol. I was trying to avoid having to buy another camera..i've looked into a few. What I like about the Evocam software and using it w/ a camera I already have is that i get an instant email when the camera goes off..so I will know exactly when he breaks in...and can call the police before he even knows what hit him.

when u say remote, do you mean wireless? I am open to getting a wireless video camera that will work with the EVOCAM software - must be compatible with quicktime basically. Know of any that would work for my needs? I will def. check into costco and sam's for something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.