Crucial Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
I bought a stick of 1gb crucial memory for my MBP about 8 months ago. last week I started having kernal panics and random restarts, and traced the problem to the memory....i wanted to take the time to tell all of you that I am extremely impressed with Crucial customer service. I was on the phone for all of 5 minutes, and they are express shipping a new module today, free of charge. They cost a little more than some of the cheaper stuff....but they have some of the best RAM, and if anything goes wrong, its good to know you wont get screwed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Man that's good to hear. I installed 2 gigs of Crucial ram a couple months ago. So far it's working great.

Reaction score
I also installed 2 X 1Gb RAM that I purchased from Crucial so that story is music to my ears, sixslinger!

Thanks for passing your experience on to us here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
That's great to hear as I just installed a 1 gig stick of Crucial memory in my MBP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You are not alone in your experience. I swear by Crucial and haven't purchased memory from any other source since Micron first started their retail arm.

I once purchased a 512MB module for my desktop, then several months later, purchased a second 512MB module. I noticed that my motherboard didn't detect the configuration as dual-channel capable, and emailed Crucial support. Within minutes, Crucial replied back saying that the modules weren't identical, so they would be sending me out a new one (free of charge) and with a mailer so that I could send back one of the two modules free of charge as well.

My problem was resolved within 2 business days - can't beat that for turnaround.

Reaction score
as soon as i get my mbp I'll be adding another 1g of memory to it... now i know who to go with! thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ordered a matched pair of 1GB modules from Crucial today, which means that I'll be putting up my Apple OEM (Nanya brand) 1GB module for sale on eBay - PM me if anyone is interested. The new stuff should be here on Friday, the 23rd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig
I am sure this question has been asked, I remember reading something about it. If I wanted to upgrade (not likely at this point) my ram from 2g to 3g, would I have to add 2 2gig modules making it 4g, but only having the ability to use 3g of it?

If so, would this damage/hurt the MBP at all? I could have sworn I already read this somewhere, but wanted to reconfirm. Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do you have a core duo or core 2 duo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig
Core 2 duo... well.. officially I should receive it tomorrow! I am kinda nervous.. what if it doesn't like me? what happens if it see's my PC desktop? Will it be jealous?

But ya, its a MBP Core 2 Duo and as you can tell I am a happy.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
congrats.....your gonna love it. Your best bet on the RAM upgrade is to get a 1gb stick and a 2gb stick.....matching RAM doesnt really matter in the MBP, since it has separate video RAM. Not sure what would happen if you stuck 4gb in there......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini & MB Pro
Anyone know where I can get the Crucial memory for a decent price? I'm looking for 1gb X 2 for my macbook pro.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone know where I can get the Crucial memory for a decent price? I'm looking for 1gb X 2 for my macbook pro.

You'd want to buy it directly from Crucial.com, other vendors carry it, but in my experience they usually come out about even with shipping.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GB matched pairs showed up today, everything works great. I'm now able to allocate my Ubuntu and Windows virtual machines a full 1GB at a time with no slowdown on the host desktop, it's awesome and highly recommended.

I can't say that I notice any difference in performance given the dual-channel configuration, however....

Reaction score
I ordered a matched pair of 1GB modules from Crucial today, which means that I'll be putting up my Apple OEM (Nanya brand) 1GB module for sale on eBay - PM me if anyone is interested. The new stuff should be here on Friday, the 23rd.

What's the difference? I have my OEM memory with Kingston and everything seems kosher. What benefits would you gain from a matched pair? I don't see it necessary unless you plan on overclocking.

Speaking of memory, I checked out Kingston.com and was flabbergasted to learn for a 2GB module, it costs almost $900. Is that the norm? I'd love to bump it to 3GB but not at those prices.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the difference? I have my OEM memory with Kingston and everything seems kosher. What benefits would you gain from a matched pair? I don't see it necessary unless you plan on overclocking.

Speaking of memory, I checked out Kingston.com and was flabbergasted to learn for a 2GB module, it costs almost $900. Is that the norm? I'd love to bump it to 3GB but not at those prices.

In order to run in full dual-channel mode, the modules must be an-identical or near identical match. The easiest way to do this is to purchased a matched pair from the same vendor (although the vendor doesn't necessarily have to be the same, as long as the number and type of ICs match).

The benefit of a dual-channel configuration is better performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
It even says in the manual that running 2 of the same sticks will yield better performance. I'm not sure if this is true for the Core 2 Duo since it has a capacity of 3 gigs but I know it's true for the Core Duos.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It even says in the manual that running 2 of the same sticks will yield better performance. I'm not sure if this is true for the Core 2 Duo since it has a capacity of 3 gigs but I know it's true for the Core Duos.

It's the same with the C2D machines since they also support dual-channel. It's just that if you intend to run the maximum capacity, you won't have the benefits of dual-channel.

It's not a big deal, only if you're using a lot of heavy-hitter applications and you absolutely have to have the best performance possible. It's not like your machine will be noticeably slower.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.