Router Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi All

I know that there has been a similar post to this before, but looking back at it, it does not answer my question...so here goes.
I have a Netgear wireless router which is sat at the side of my iMac. The computer is connected to the router by an ethernet cable. My PC, which is in the loft, has a dongle plugged into it, and connects to the same router and it connects to the net fine. Trouble is, I would like the mac to be wireless as well, but I can not get it to connect if I have WEP password selected. It will connect if i turn the WEP function off, but as soon as I turn it back on it tells me that there is an error connecting to the router. I am using the correct password, but the iMac will not accept it......Any help appreciated.

PS. Am I better leaving the iMac connected by the ethernet cable or not...would this affect speed etc.

Cheers

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Try using WPA instead of WEP... from (while connected)... your iMac go into your router by typing 192.168.1.1 as the url... Once in the Router, change the the security settings to WPA. This should get you going WIRELESS.

Your Wireless Router will not hold back your speed... it's your ISP that limits you.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers Ride

My settings in the router are WPA-PSK or WPA-802.1x Which should I use.

Cheers

Philip

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorted.

Many thanks RIDE...that has worked perfectly.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Great! The next step is to get an Airport Express and play your music wirelessly on your home theater or built-in speakers.... it's great!

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats the next step, I hope.

Cheers

Philip

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.