I need help with OS 9 to Ubuntu

Reaction score
I recently got an older iMac, the blue and white plastic one, and i would like to run Ubuntu on it. I have downloaded Ubuntu and burned it on to a cd as an iso disk image, then verified the disk. But I can not figure out for the life of me how to remove/change/update or just about do anything to OS 9. Seeing how i am only fimiliar with OS X I would appreciate any help with this matter.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I recently got an older iMac, the blue and white plastic one, and i would like to run Ubuntu on it. I have downloaded Ubuntu and burned it on to a cd as an iso disk image, then verified the disk. But I can not figure out for the life of me how to remove/change/update or just about do anything to OS 9. Seeing how i am only fimiliar with OS X I would appreciate any help with this matter.

Thanks

I haven't touched an older Mac in ages, but I would assume that you'd just pop the Ubuntu CD into the CD-ROM drive, reboot and hold the C key down to boot from the CD. The Ubuntu setup routine should walk you through reformatting/repartitioning, etc.

Reaction score
What is your ultimate goal? Do you want OS9 removed or do you want to run both OS9 and Ubuntu together? When installing Ubuntu it will give you a choice. If you want only Ubuntu on the HD then at the beginning of the install reformat the partition and you will have only Ubuntu on it. If you want both to run you will be given an option (toward the end of the install) on dual-booting then when you turn your computer on, you pick which one you want to go to.

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2
What is your ultimate goal? Do you want OS9 removed or do you want to run both OS9 and Ubuntu together? When installing Ubuntu it will give you a choice. If you want only Ubuntu on the HD then at the beginning of the install reformat the partition and you will have only Ubuntu on it. If you want both to run you will be given an option (toward the end of the install) on dual-booting then when you turn your computer on, you pick which one you want to go to.

I'm kind of a newbie in this area... I want to run both Ubuntu and OS X on my Macbook.. Can the Ubuntu CD create a new partition on my HD on which I can install Ubuntu? Or do I need to make the partition before the installation using Bootcamp?

Reaction score
I'm kind of a newbie in this area... I want to run both Ubuntu and OS X on my Macbook.. Can the Ubuntu CD create a new partition on my HD on which I can install Ubuntu? Or do I need to make the partition before the installation using Bootcamp?

If it were me I would go ahead and make the partition first. Then pop in the CD as described above and install Ubuntu. Towards the end of the install it will ask if you want to dual-boot. Answer yes and it is taken care of automatically. At startup you will be given an option of which OS you wish to boot into.

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it were me I would go ahead and make the partition first. Then pop in the CD as described above and install Ubuntu. Towards the end of the install it will ask if you want to dual-boot. Answer yes and it is taken care of automatically. At startup you will be given an option of which OS you wish to boot into.

Ok thanks! Do you know if its possible to boot Ubuntu from a external HD? In that way it wouldn't be necessary to make an extra partition on my small HD... :eek:

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks! Do you know if its possible to boot Ubuntu from a external HD? In that way it wouldn't be necessary to make an extra partition on my small HD... :eek:

I realised that this was a question for the Ubuntu-guys on the ubuntu forums, so I asked it there and they told me it is possible. Now I've only got one question left (I hope):

Let's say that I've got Ubuntu installed on an external hd: can I just attach my hd via usb and then use the 'option'-method (that is, hold down the option/alt key when I turn on the computer) at start-up to choose whether I would like to boot up using OS X or Ubuntu?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.