Can I break down an audio tape recording?

Reaction score
Hi. I used to be in a band, and would love to import some of the demos we recorded to tape onto my Mac, clean them up, etc. I'm also wondering if I can break the songs down into individual instrument tracks so that I can mix them, etc.

I have a feeling this isn't going to be possible, but thought I'd ask. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
As long as you have an audio input in your PC/Mac you can record them into the computer, thus making the records digital. The quality is not going to be optimal, but it may give you enough, also you will have only two channels, so don't expect to have each instrument independent.
Once you have recorded the tape to a WAV file (use WAV, the biggest the better) you can split it and/or make it MP3 or whatever format you prefer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have a feeling this isn't going to be possible, but thought I'd ask. Any ideas?

Cheers.
You are correct. Once you recorded it to a tape it essentially became one track. No matter if you record that as a wav file to your computer or not, it will still be one track. The only way to get the individual instrument tracks is to get a hold of the masters. If you don't have access to those then you are out of luck.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
How about if I can get hold of the masters?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sure thing. If you can get access to the original master instrument tracks then you could mix them. You would have to digitize them, but if you have the right equipment it would be no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.