switched!

D

dtx3000

it finally came today. my 15" imac! i absolutely love it. ok, there's one dead pixel......but i dont really care and its still a mac! how long am i supposed to massage the pixel for? either way......its no big deal. what kind of system stuff am i supposed to do daily / weekly / monthly btw?
thanks,
dtx

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
not very long. It has been a long, long time since I did that. Most likely that one pixel will come bad from the dead. :)

OP
D

dtx3000

hopefully it will! what kind of freeware stuff do you run that you'd consider pretty useful / needed?

OP
A

adam80

You should repair the permissions regualary...its in Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility

I usually try to do it at least once after I install something or monthly whatever the case may be.

Congrats on the first Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
First congratz on the Mac!! :) also every day/week/month cron task (unless you have Mac janitor) Finder>Applicatons>Utilities>Terminal. switch to root (superuser) type sudo sh /etc/daily (prompted for password) and of course each week repeat making daily weekly instead and same /monthly every month. You can make an Applescript to do this - but I think manually is just as easy. So far, I have not found any needed freeware, but I'm sure theres some out there > you may wanna have a look at Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus's book Dr Mac. It's awesome! :)

OP
A

adam80

goto versiontracker.com and download cocktail, its a prog that will do all of this in one place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah, I'm sure that one will work. I just received a 2Meg Applescript from my bro that does it also with a one button app. But I need his permission to send it to anyone, and I don't plan on using it cause I'm so used to doing it manually. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.