firewire 800 compatability

J

jp_tix

Hi,

I need to connect my 3gen iPod to the 9-pin Firewire 800 port on my Powerbook. It says in the manual I need a third-party adapter.

Anyone know who makes these? All of my music is stored on an external firewire HD, so i need to have both connected to transfer the music...

Any disadvantages connecting the iPod to the 800 port?

I think I can make this work without the adapter if I connect the iPod to
one of the ports on the external firewire HD, are there any disadvantages to this ?

thanks,

jp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
jp_tix said:
Hi,

I need to connect my 3gen iPod to the 9-pin Firewire 800 port on my Powerbook. It says in the manual I need a third-party adapter.

Anyone know who makes these? All of my music is stored on an external firewire HD, so i need to have both connected to transfer the music...

Any disadvantages connecting the iPod to the 800 port?

I think I can make this work without the adapter if I connect the iPod to
one of the ports on the external firewire HD, are there any disadvantages to this ?

thanks,

jp
I see no disadvantages connecting the iPod to the 800 port. I see that there are 4-6 pin adapters included in the 20Gig iPod. and here may be the one you seem to need. In any case I suppose your connecting to the drive that has iTunes... Hope this helps
;)

OP
J

jp_tix

thanks!

witeshark said:
I In any case I suppose your connecting to the drive that has iTunes... Hope this helps ;)

no, that's not what i meant. my external fw drive has an extra firewire port, and if i plug the ipod to this port it mounts and appears on the desktop as it would if it was connected directly. no problems so far,
transfer speed seems to be the same as before. so i probably won't need the adapter...

jp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea there are no disadvantages to connecting through a drive thats already plugged in

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.