Attempt to automount Appleshare on demand?

Reaction score
I know that with NFS you can configure the share to mount itself as needed. I have my music on a Linux box and I access via an Appleshare that I setup on that machine.

The problem is, if I have to reboot that machine or I disconnect my Mac from the network I lose that connection. Then if I don't remember to re-mount it and try to play a song in iTunes I have issues.

Anyone know if it's possible to create this behavior easily?

I haven't thought real hard about it, but I am thinking it might be possible to create some way to do it with an Applescript and cronjob, but I wasn't looking for something easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
This may help you further with auto mounting a NFS partition.

OP
M
Reaction score
Great site.

But I am such an idiot....Apparently if I try to play a song in iTunes and the drive isn't automounted it does it for me. I am not sure why I never tried it before.....stupid.

That site will be useful in the future though, so thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
My Downloads directory in Safari is on an OS X server yet if the network volume is not mounted, the act of downloading something with automount the share with the downloads folder on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.