White Screen at Start-Up

Reaction score
I have an almost 3-year old Powerbook G4. Other than it being low on RAM and being a bit old, it runs like a dream.

A couple weeks ago, my Bluetooth became "not available". That's kind of unrelated to the subject though.

Today, I shut my computer down to take it to a band rehearsal (Our background tracks play out of iTunes), and when I got to the hall, I went to boot up my computer. It made the start-up chime, came to a blank, white screen. From here, it sat for 5 to 10 minutes with no change. I rebooted. Same thing. I took out the battery. No change. Finally, I gave up. I tried to take it to both the Mac stores in my area, but neither of them had any free Genius Time. So, I came home, figured "why not try to boot again?" I booted it up. I got the white screen again, but after 3 minutes or so, the Apple Logo and the little moving circle thing came up. It did that for 5 or 6 minutes, then it came to a blue screen and the computer booted.

Besides the fact that it magically booted this time, my bluetooth also started working again.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on. Is my Powerbook on its last leg?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Just can't think of an immediate reason for the cause you've mentioned. I situation like that I would try to do a PRAM reset and perhaps a hardware test just to make sure my hardware is in good shape.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have an almost 3-year old Powerbook G4. Other than it being low on RAM and being a bit old, it runs like a dream.

A couple weeks ago, my Bluetooth became "not available". That's kind of unrelated to the subject though.

Today, I shut my computer down to take it to a band rehearsal (Our background tracks play out of iTunes), and when I got to the hall, I went to boot up my computer. It made the start-up chime, came to a blank, white screen. From here, it sat for 5 to 10 minutes with no change. I rebooted. Same thing. I took out the battery. No change. Finally, I gave up. I tried to take it to both the Mac stores in my area, but neither of them had any free Genius Time. So, I came home, figured "why not try to boot again?" I booted it up. I got the white screen again, but after 3 minutes or so, the Apple Logo and the little moving circle thing came up. It did that for 5 or 6 minutes, then it came to a blue screen and the computer booted.

Besides the fact that it magically booted this time, my bluetooth also started working again.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on. Is my Powerbook on its last leg?

Try resetting the PMU as described in this article

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.