According to Azureus I am firewalled?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Let me start off by saying I am not torrenting anything illegal. I have this macbook now and it is the first time I have used a torrent program on it. I am pretty sure im not firewalled. How can I turn off any firewall settings in osx?

M

MacHeadCase

In the System Preferences ---> Sharing (in the Internet & Network section) ---> Firewall

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is off but it says that im still walled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
My school has a firewall set up that I can't control. It makes it nearly impossible to download anything via torrent.

Reaction score
It would be better to setup the firewall for torrent transfer rather than just turning off your firewall as you would be opening the computer up to hackers by doing that. Here is a link to how to do that:

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Firewalling#Mac_OS_X

How are you connected to the internet ? if you are connected with a router then it's possible that it has a firewall built into it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Let me start off by saying I am not torrenting anything illegal. I have this macbook now and it is the first time I have used a torrent program on it. I am pretty sure im not firewalled. How can I turn off any firewall settings in osx?

What sort of network are you plugged into? Are you at home, school or work? Most schools and businesses have firewalls that prevent these sorts of things so you don't waste THEIR bandwidth. If you are at home, ask your iSP.

Reaction score
My school has a firewall set up that I can't control. It makes it nearly impossible to download anything via torrent.

The network connection is in their name so i should think that the last thing they want is you downloading torrents as their is no easy way of telling if they are dodgy or not. :tusks:

T

todd51

I know Azureus has a build in test system to test if the port that it uses is open. If it fails you can always access your router settings, and forward the port so that it's always open. I have had to do this with certain applications, hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Does your router support UPnP. Makes port forwarding a breeze and more secure.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im on my own router. wireless. its a 2wire. brand new from quest. 192.168.0.1 says there is a firewall on but i cant turn it off?

Reaction score
I had the same problem, and I couldn't figure out what to do. the DHT would be green then yellow and then red. even tho I disabled the firewall from my mac and router it still said it was firewalled. I think it could be a bug.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lame. i hope i can fix this. my d/l speeds seem to bottle neck around 230 kbs which is rather annoying when i know i can get .5mb a sec

Reaction score
If you're already doing this, disregard this post...

It's not so much a firewall problem as an IP problem. If you're connected to your router using DCHP, it wont forward the ports properly for Azureus. You need to set it to use a static IP. See the instructions for your router at http://www.portforward.com/
If Azureus cant see the port, it assumes a firewall is in use.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
believe me, i pay for it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.