• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New House!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Today my wife and I found a new place to live. :)

Not very big, a might bit under 800 square feet, but it's certainly affordable. At $550/mo with free water/sewer/electricity, it's certainly manageable. We're renting a converted basement from a family we know from church, and we have all sorts of freedom... like painting, basic improvements, and we can have the cat there. My wife loves the place, as do I. Shortly I will post the view out of our living room window. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Fantastic!!!! Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
excellent!
good luck with the new place!

i can't imagine only having 500 sq feet - but we have a lot of stuff and a kid

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here we are... a view from my front window...

DSC03472web.jpg

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah, we get the keys on Monday. Rent isn't due until March 15, because that's when we will start occupying the unit. It's so nice to rent from people you've known for 15 years. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Wow, what a beautiful view! That's great- congrats.

M

MacHeadCase

Wow! That seems like such a gorgeous view! And quiet too! I really think you will be happy there and everyone will be well rested, good air, man what more can you ask for? Congratulations nuke!

And don't forget to put up birdfeeders and catch them in photos when they come in for a meal! :girl:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
much nicer than my view nuke! might be worth giving up an additional 1400 sq feet. ;)

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! That seems like such a gorgeous view! And quiet too! I really think you will be happy there and everyone will be well rested, good air, man what more can you ask for? Congratulations nuke!

And don't forget to put up birdfeeders and catch them in photos when they come in for a meal! :girl:

Not too quiet, it's on the route for the landing strip at the Naval Air Station. Not too loud, either, as they are flying over those trees in the background, over a mile away.

Reaction score
Great. Good luck with the new place. Nothing like moving into a place you're excited about. Congrats!

Reaction score
Very happy for you, nuke. 800 sq ft is bigger than the first apartment my wife & I shared ... and we certainly didn't have a view one-millionth as peaceful as that. We had to put the bed in the dining room (which was more or less the same as the living room) because I used the bedroom as my office. My wife is a saint. But then again, she'd have to be.

So best wishes and best luck and whatever you do, don't give a single thought to the bad omen of moving in on the Ides of March. As my grandpa always used to say: "Don't be superstitious. Bad things always happen to superstitious people."

Seriously, congrats to you and the Mrs. I hope it's a place you both enjoy for a long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Congrats! Beats the heck out of living on the ship!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Thats a nice view, congrats on the new place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
looks a good view !

post some pics of inside.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Congrats nukemm!

You've got a nice view there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Here we are... a view from my front window...

Nice View - when you said converted basement - I thought you were going to post a view of a wall or something :)

Today my wife and I found a new place to live. :)

Not very big, a might bit under 800 square feet, but it's certainly affordable. At $550/mo with free water/sewer/electricity, it's certainly manageable. We're renting a converted basement from a family we know from church, and we have all sorts of freedom... like painting, basic improvements, and we can have the cat there. My wife loves the place, as do I. Shortly I will post the view out of our living room window. :)

Is $550/month the going rate for that size place or is that because you know the owners?

looks a good view !

post some pics of inside.

Yeah I'd be interested in that as well - mainly because I'm not so hot at picturing what 800 square ft looks like. :)

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice View - when you said converted basement - I thought you were going to post a view of a wall or something :)

Is $550/month the going rate for that size place or is that because you know the owners?

Yeah I'd be interested in that as well - mainly because I'm not so hot at picturing what 800 square ft looks like. :)

The going rate for this size place in a small complex (ie. condo-setting vs. large apartment complex) is between $900-$1400USD/mo. We know the owners, and the place needs a little work on the inside, so we get a good deal. Everything is functional, just not everything is pretty. The paint job is rough, but the owners are all for free labor, lol. They buy the materials, we do labor, and we get a good deal on a place to live, along with the freedom to decorate as we choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Sounds like a fair deal.

Rent especially sounds good compared to the going rate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.