How can you make...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
a picture entirely black and white, and have a certain part of it have color?

For example, take a man bouncing a red ball. have the man and his surroundings black and white, and just make the ball red?

i'm using PS CS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Make a black layer over top of your image and then erase away where you want the underneath color to show through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Make a black layer over top of your image and then erase away where you want the underneath color to show through.

I think they meant black and white, as in greyscale, with a selected part of the image remaining in colour. Also, erasing could lead to more problems - masking is better ;)

A simple way to do it is like this - select the part you wanr left in colour (generally, this is easier than selecting everything else to begin with) Once you've done that, invert the selection (command+shift+i). Now, go down to your layers palette. Click on the circle that is half black, half white (these are adjustment layers) and choose hue/saturation. Drag the saturation slider to 0. Now you're done.

There are other ways to get the same result, but the best reason to use an adjustment layer is that it allows you to edit it at any time, so the effect is never really permanent. The adjustment layer in this case, is simply masking the colour of the layer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.