Installed new RAM...now what?

Reaction score
I just installed 2GB of RAM. When I turned on my Macbook there was no message saying that there was new RAM installed. When I go to "About this MAC" it says that there is 2GB of RAM. Since it says that I assume I did it correctly? Is that all I have to do...?

I haven't noticed any difference in the way it operates...

Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
You will notice the difference with a lot of different programs open, or while doing anything memory intensive, like video or photo editing, etc.. For me when I upgraded to 2 Gb from 1, I noticed just about everything ran a bit faster.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's it. Did you expect an Installation Wizard guiding you through the setup process, showing you ugly GIFs of some weird-looking hardware card, yellow exclamation marks and "Finish" buttons :).

OS X can't "know" that you've installed new RAM, because it runs on it. Simlarly, OS X isn't going to congratulate you for exchanging the processor. It's like you knowing about God, who just got upgraded. Sorry for the blasphemous analogy.

BTW, enjoy 2GB. Roxx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Here, do this:

Put the original RAM back into the Macbook, boot it up. Now launch fifty Safari windows with five tabs in each. Point 'em at all different sites (CNN, here, Fark.com, slashdot, etc.) Then launch iTunes. Play a song.

Now shut down (if you can) and re-install the 2GB RAM. Do the same thing.

You'll probably see a difference.

:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
does more expensive Ram work better?
Of course it does. Everything that costs more is better. :black:

Seriously, it makes no difference. So long as the RAM meets the requirements, it will work fine, no matter what it costs.

Reaction score
Take my Canon Digital camera for instance ... I was in the market for my mode when it was seling for $500AUS [not original price]. No doubt it was originally more expensive when it first came out ... I picked it up for $399AUS ... then a couple of months later it was selling for $299AUS. All this in the space of 6mths too! You get what you pay for is starting to sound hollow ....

J

jamesx

Of course it does. Everything that costs more is better. :black:

Seriously, it makes no difference. So long as the RAM meets the requirements, it will work fine, no matter what it costs.

sorry for hijacking this thread...but i figured we were kind of on the same page.

lol, ok. i didn't really know. i have seen a few different places that sell it and some have a price variance of $150. where is a good place online that sells good hardware for a mac...(c2d macbook).

M

MacHeadCase

Always buy RAM that has a lifetime warranty: if it dies suddenly you will get a free replacement.

I like Other World Computing. I bought RAM from theme a few years back and they are very nice, efficient and service is fast.

Others might recommend Crucial. You see RAMJET advertised a lot but I personally never bought from them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.