Firefox Making me mad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I noticed this problem on my G4 powerbook and now I have the same problem with my MacBook.

Occassionally the keyboard will not work in firefox. It will work in other programs : neo office or safari
but when I switch back over to firefox it doesn't work. I minimize and maximize it a bunch of times but it doesn't seem to help but after 30 seconds to a minute it works.

What is the deal? It makes me want to smash something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
do you have num lock on?

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
It's not a numlock issue because it was off and then I turned it on to see if it would make a difference (which it didn't) and I was able to type in other programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
try www.opera.com
its another highly rated web browser

Have you tried uninstalling firefox?
is it firefox 2 btw, coz that is out now it might be worth considering updating
www.firefox.com

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I noticed this problem on my G4 powerbook and now I have the same problem with my MacBook.

Occassionally the keyboard will not work in firefox. It will work in other programs : neo office or safari
but when I switch back over to firefox it doesn't work. I minimize and maximize it a bunch of times but it doesn't seem to help but after 30 seconds to a minute it works.

What is the deal? It makes me want to smash something.

I too have seen this on very rare occasions. In my case, I think it's Firefox not reacting well or recovering gracefully from the machine going into sleep mode. In my case, when I see this, I use Command-Q to totally quit the application and it comes right back up. Firefox 2 is still new, so I'm sure there are some bugs to work out yet. If this is intolerable for you, I agree with the other posts that recommend alternative browsers. You may also want to try disabling any add-ons for Firefox and see if the problem persists.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I too have seen this on very rare occasions. In my case, I think it's Firefox not reacting well or recovering gracefully from the machine going into sleep mode. In my case, when I see this, I use Command-Q to totally quit the application and it comes right back up. Firefox 2 is still new, so I'm sure there are some bugs to work out yet. If this is intolerable for you, I agree with the other posts that recommend alternative browsers. You may also want to try disabling any add-ons for Firefox and see if the problem persists.

It has never occured to me coming out of sleep mode, it just happens whenever I am using it. It is Firefox 2 and I am a huge firefox fan but I think I may switch to a different broswer for the time being because I am so annoyed with it. I haven't installed any add-ons for Firefox so I don't know what the deal is.

I don't necessarily like to Command-Q because I usually have at least 3 tabs open.

Right now I am using Safari, I like safari but there are some compatibility issues with some websites, other than that I love the speed of Safar and the look of it, It's a great light-weight program.

T

todd51

I recommend Camino, I use it a lot and haven't had any problems with it!

It also seems the fasted to open next to Safari.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
This is a known bug in Firefox 2 - there's nothing wrong with your Mac.

I'm currently struggling with the browser situation because they're all rubbish. Bring back Opera 6, I say :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
I've experienced issues with FireFox 2.0 as well... my issue was using the browser over a wireless connection. It would lock up on me for 30 seconds to a minute. It would then release and I could browse normally. It would do this often until I quit it then reopened. It was ticking me off... so now I use Safari with the cooliris plugin and the Saft free plugin.

My GF and her mother also have the same problem with FireFox locking up while they're browsing the web over a wireless connection.

FireFox broke my heart. :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 700mhz 10.3.9 & 2.4ghz 1.5 gb 10.4.8
first off i'd like to hi to all, first post. i too have this problem sometimes, but i noticed if you click to close the window and it asks if you want to close all tabs, just click cancel (not really closing the window) and it should go back and work fine. guess we'll just have to wait for an update

Reaction score
Or you could download a session manager for firefox, then save your tabs from that session, close firefox. Relaunch firefox and select the tab session you wish to reload... (I regularly have 30-60 tabs, sometimes more, open at any given time. As you can see, I can certainly understand you not wanting to have to manually recreate your browsing session) :)

And yes, I too have experienced this bug on my macbook C2D (2GB RAM)

Gabe

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've experienced issues with FireFox 2.0 as well... my issue was using the browser over a wireless connection. It would lock up on me for 30 seconds to a minute. It would then release and I could browse normally. It would do this often until I quit it then reopened. It was ticking me off... so now I use Safari with the cooliris plugin and the Saft free plugin.

My GF and her mother also have the same problem with FireFox locking up while they're browsing the web over a wireless connection.

FireFox broke my heart. :'(

It broke my heart too, due to my annoyance with this problem I have discontinued my fire fox use... I used to be such a huge fan of firefox too. I am glad to hear I am not crazy that this is an actual issue.

Right now I am strictly Safari and I will check out those plugins that you use.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(I regularly have 30-60 tabs, sometimes more, open at any given time. As you can see, I can certainly understand you not wanting to have to manually recreate your browsing session) :)

And yes, I too have experienced this bug on my macbook C2D (2GB RAM)

Gabe

It's nice to see someone that understands my pain :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 700mhz 10.3.9 & 2.4ghz 1.5 gb 10.4.8
i dont understand, if it freezes were you cant type. you can click on the red x and it should ask if you want to confirm to close the tabs, click cancel and go on your marry way. its as easy as that there is no relaunching firefox or am i just the lucky one

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont understand, if it freezes were you cant type. you can click on the red x and it should ask if you want to confirm to close the tabs, click cancel and go on your marry way. its as easy as that there is no relaunching firefox or am i just the lucky one

I am afraid that is not good enough for me. Firefox broke my heart... You can't just unbreak this heart!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.