iMac g3 won't install 9

Reaction score
I have an iMac g3, and it used to run osx 10.3, but then i thought i'd turn it into an ubuntu machine, which didn't work through many different processes. now i am trying to make it an os 9 machine, and no matter what i do, it wont work. I know for a fact that it has firmware 3 on it, and when i boot to the os 9 cd, and try to install, it says i need to update the firmware. so open the firmware update utility in the 'extras' folder, and when i try to click shutdown, to update the firmware, it says that the volume that the system folder is on, is locked, and i need to restart using an unlocked volume. i have also tried installing os 9 to a usb drive on a different computer, and then copying it over to HD, but that also doesn't work, it won't boot. without the os 9 cd, i get the blinking mac sign, and question mark thing. HELP! i really want this to work!

Reaction score
What model G3 is it? If the HD is clean there is no firmwear as it resides on the
HD and not in the Roms. Anyway there is a restart button and programers button under the firewire input,on a first gen Imac you need a paper clip. You boot from a external device by holding down the Option key. If you do not have the right firmwear the machine will go dark and not work. Do you have the Orange Imac dics or Orange restore dics it has the firmwear on it. You can download the firmwear and make a dics,the installer tells how to hold down the programers key... .Then install OS9.

Reaction score
The flashing ? mark means that an active system folder can not be found,your running off the OS dics and its locked. Click on the OS installer and load the OS and then right after update the firmwear,if its ok the installer will tell you so.

Reaction score
Try starting the system up from the OS9 disk and the re formatting the Harddrive with the Apple Internal HD Format program which can be found in the Disk tools folder on the CD.

OP
I
Reaction score
i have tried everything everyone said. holding down option doesn't do anything. paper clip in the programmers button, nothing, nothing nothign nothing. i have no restore discs. and now i put the same firmware update thats on the os 9 disc onto a jump drive, and tried to update it. and it said that a newer firmware is installed, and that it can't update!!

OP
I
Reaction score
Its a g3 333mhz tray load. i have reformatted the hard drive numerous times and tried to install. no luck.

Reaction score
I don't get way the OS 9 installer will not install,are you shure your OS dics is a full version and not a point update? When you put in the Os dics when you click on install os9 what happens?

OP
I
Reaction score
I don't get way the OS 9 installer will not install,are you shure your OS dics is a full version and not a point update? When you put in the Os dics when you click on install os9 what happens?

it says that my firmware is out of date, and that i should update it throught the firmware update in the extras folder. when i go to do that, it and click on the firmware updater, and then click shut down, it says that it cannot move necessary files to the current system folder because it's locked, and that i should boot to an unlocked volume, and try again. im pretty sure it's a full install cd, but i could be wrong

Reaction score
Full OS cds will say version 9.1 in small print. Can you go past the update window ,just click ok,and move to the OS installer and not the extras folder.
You may have to move the HD to like a desktop G3 load the OS and move it back,then up date the Firmwear.

Reaction score
In the OS 9 installer window are you chooseing a destination for the install. Mac Hard Drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Just a question? Are you trying to install OS9 on a different partition to OS X? I tried that and it didn't work, but I copied my OS 9 over to the OS X partition and now is runs smoothly.

I dunno if that's an issue, but better try out all avenues I say

OP
I
Reaction score
In the OS 9 installer window are you chooseing a destination for the install. Mac Hard Drive?

i dont get to that step. when i click on install, before any options come up, it says the firmware is out of date, and that i have to update it. i get absouletely no options whatsoever!

OP
I
Reaction score

Full OS cds will say version 9.1 in small print. Can you go past the update window ,just click ok,and move to the OS installer and not the extras folder.
You may have to move the HD to like a desktop G3 load the OS and move it back,then up date the Firmwear.

i have also tried installing 9 on a different machine (that went fine), and then moving that hard drive over to the imac, but that didn't work. it wouldn't boot, still with the question mark and mac flashing

Reaction score
You know what Mr Spock usta say!, Sounds like you need to change the clock battery. Imacs will not work with a dead or weak battery. Check the hard drive cables Etc. for good connection. If you get it to boot you must install the firmwear right away,you do not have much time to run it with out the Imac firmwear it will shut down.

OP
I
Reaction score
You know what Mr Spock usta say!, Sounds like you need to change the clock battery. Imacs will not work with a dead or weak battery. Check the hard drive cables Etc. for good connection. If you get it to boot you must install the firmwear right away,you do not have much time to run it with out the Imac firmwear it will shut down.

i can but into the os9 cd, and the firmware WILL NOT INSTALL NO MATTER WHAT! Even if i put it on a usb jump drive and try, it still doesn't work. The battery idea sounds like it may be the problem though. I'll look into it. Thanks for all the ideas!

Reaction score
Once you get the Imac to boot off the hard drive you will be able to load the firmwear off the Os CD as the destination of the install will not be locked. A CD is locked and can not be changed a Hard Drive is not locked and will take the update. If changeing the battery makes the hard drive you made and moved to the Imac boot you do not have much time to install the update.

OP
I
Reaction score
Once you get the Imac to boot off the hard drive you will be able to load the firmwear off the Os CD as the destination of the install will not be locked. A CD is locked and can not be changed a Hard Drive is not locked and will take the update. If changeing the battery makes the hard drive you made and moved to the Imac boot you do not have much time to install the update.

thanks! i purchased the original restore CD's, and a 9.0.4 install disc, I think mine may be an upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.