Optical drive issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16 GHz
Hello everyone.
I figured I would introduce myself first since this is my first post. My name is Steve and I just got my 15” mpb in December and I love it! I used to have a powerbook g4, which was my first mac, but I had to give it up because it belonged to my school, but I’ve been hooked on macs ever since. I primarily use my mac for graphic design.

Ok, so now I’ll get to the point.
When I shut the lid of my mbp every few minutes the optical drive makes a sound like its trying to eject a disc, but there is no disk in there. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? It is driving me crazy, so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello everyone.
I figured I would introduce myself first since this is my first post. My name is Steve and I just got my 15” mpb in December and I love it! I used to have a powerbook g4, which was my first mac, but I had to give it up because it belonged to my school, but I’ve been hooked on macs ever since. I primarily use my mac for graphic design.

Ok, so now I’ll get to the point.
When I shut the lid of my mbp every few minutes the optical drive makes a sound like its trying to eject a disc, but there is no disk in there. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? It is driving me crazy, so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have an external mouse hooked up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Does this noise persist and happen continually?
It is normal for the optical drive to make a "spinning down" type noise when the computer is shut down or put to sleep, but it should only happen once.
If it is happening over and over, then it could be a fan that is making the noise (if you simply put it to sleep).
Try running a Hardware Test to see if anything shows up.

OP
Follow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16 GHz
Do you have an external mouse hooked up?

I have a bluetooth mouse hooked up, but it does it when the mouse is shut off.

Does this noise persist and happen continually?
It is normal for the optical drive to make a "spinning down" type noise when the computer is shut down or put to sleep, but it should only happen once.
If it is happening over and over, then it could be a fan that is making the noise (if you simply put it to sleep).
Try running a Hardware Test to see if anything shows up.

If you push the eject button when there us no disk in, that is the sound it makes. It does it repeatedly every few minutes. Otherwise the drive is functioning like normal.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Follow. As DB suggested run the Hardware Test on your MBP. It should be on DVD install disks that came with your Mac. Insert the disk and restart, holding down the D key. When prompted, ask for the test to be run in Extended mode.

Report back with the results and we'll see what has to be done next.

OP
Follow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16 GHz
I ran the hardware test and no problems were found. It seems like it could just be nothing, but it is just bugging the **** out of me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ran the hardware test and no problems were found. It seems like it could just be nothing, but it is just bugging the **** out of me.

The reason I asked about the mouse is that I keep my MBP on my desk at work. Much of the time, the lid is closed and should be sleeping. But what I found was that the vibrations on my desk were enough to jar my Logitech V270 BT mouse which would make the MBP wake up for a second and in turn, make the drive make the noise you describe.

I would try disabling Bluetooth and the AirPort and see if it still does it. Just a guess.

OP
Follow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16 GHz
The reason I asked about the mouse is that I keep my MBP on my desk at work. Much of the time, the lid is closed and should be sleeping. But what I found was that the vibrations on my desk were enough to jar my Logitech V270 BT mouse which would make the MBP wake up for a second and in turn, make the drive make the noise you describe.

I would try disabling Bluetooth and the AirPort and see if it still does it. Just a guess.

That actuall seems to have taken care of the problem. I feel kinda stupid because it was so simple to fix. lol.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That actuall seems to have taken care of the problem. I feel kinda stupid because it was so simple to fix. lol.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

Glad to hear it. If you go into Bluetooth Preferences, you can set it to not allow BT devices to wake the computer. In my mind, this is not a big deal because you can always just hit the space bar or the trackpad button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.