Daily Kernel Panics

Reaction score
This problem started a month or two ago with my first kernel panic on my IBook G4 (even though I didn't know the name for it then). It has become more and more frequent, happening pretty steadily at once a day (sometimes two if I am spending more time on the computer). Also of note is that, when the computer restarts, it pops up the error/restart box with the report and don't report buttons, and I click the report button every time, but it doesn't do anything, and the box just goes away.

I've searched around on forums and talked to friends about what could be causing this, and I've downloaded all the updates my update manager gives me. I reset the PRAM (because that's the only thing I could find that I figured might do something). And I've also tried to narrow down the list of programs that could be causing it, and I think the only two that have been open every time are Adium and ITunes. One friend recommended that I reinstall the operating system, but before I do that and back up all my files I wanted to see if anyone else knew of this problem and any fix for it.

Thank you for reading, and any help you have would be MUCH appreciated.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums,kleppaj.

Sorry to hear about your iBook troubles. Can you locate the Hardware Test that came with your iBook? It could be a CD that is identified as such or it could also be on one of the OS install CDs (usually the install disk 1, if I'm not mistaken).

Insert the CD and restart, holding down the C key. Once you get the prompt to start the test, ask for it to be run in Extended mode.

Once the results are in, post them here.

Please note that whatever the source of the problem is, maybe the test will not detect it if the problem is intermittent, though. But we have to start somewhere so that is my suggestion.

You might also want to look up the battery exchange programs Apple has for iBooks and PowerBooks but I do not know if the symptoms of a bad battery include kernel panics, though.

Battery Exchange Program iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 and iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 Battery Exchange Program.

Oh and you might want to look into Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU) as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.