Flat Panel Cinema Displays

C

carrie

Hi, I have the a G4 dual 1.25 Hz, currently using it with my old Apple CRT display. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Apple flat panel cinema display. I'm wondering, though, will the flat panel display work with a PC? I have a PC - box only - that I have to use for some applications, and at the moment, I can just change the monitor's out plug, and work on the PC, I don't need to keep two monitors on the desk There does not seem to be any compatability problem with the Apple CRT display, but would the same be true with the flat panel? I don't want to have to give desk room to a second monitor, just for the occasional use of the PC.

So far, I've had conflicting advice from dealers. Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
If you have a video card with a DVI connection on it you should not have a problem. Most newer cards have this port on them. They are for digital monitors, such as the Apple Flat Panel you are looking at ( which is an awesome display, by the way ). You can get THIS (outdated link removed) adapter ( I think ) and you should be able to connect your new display to any video card that has a DVI output on it.

This is what a DVI port looks like :

(outdated link removed)

Like I said, most NEWER video cards come with this port. If you don't have one, you can probably get a video card for like $100 that has this port on it. I haven't looked at video cards lately, so I can't recommend a cheap good video card with this port on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, come to think of it, I got some spare room on my CompUSA card, maybe I should buy a 17" now instead of waiting for when I get a new Mac with the new chips. That way it has less sticker shock, and I would have a stellar LCD monitor for my PC's. Hmmm, wonder if they make KVM switches with DVI ports on them...

Got me thinking now :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
THIS (outdated link removed) might be a solution for you too. You would still need the DVI video port on your PC, but you could make use of the same keyboard and mouse, and not have to switch the video cable.

OP
S

silentraven

The Compucable box is pretty good, but does not do audio, if you are looking for it. the ADC Switcher by Gefen (www.gefen.com) does do audio and soon will be doing Digital Audio. Both are good. The Compucable product is cheaper because it does lack audio. I am actually getting a switcher for my setup too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.