Buy now or wait for Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR3, 160 + 320GB HDD, Gforce 9400m - iPhone 8GB 2.2 T-Mobile
Hi guys,
I have recently been thinking of changing over to mac from PC and after much research I've decided to go for a 20" iMac Core Duo.
Now originally I was planning on waiting for Leopard to be released but through a company scheme i can now get the machine for £796 which is a good deal (retail price is £999.99).
Would it be better to order it now at the very cheap price or wait until Leopard comes out and then pay full price or get a refurb (will Leopard offer much more over Tiger to warrant the extra 200 quid)? The machine wouldn't be shipped until early April so if Leopard did come out between now and then would it be included?
Also does anyone know if Apple plan to release new hardware or different specs to coincide with Leopard?

Thanks

Kris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Apple is famously closed mouthed about their product plans, so no one can say for sure when Leopard will come out, and whether new hardware may come out in the same or similar time frame.

In general though, I would recommend "pulling the trigger" now, not later. Remember that when Leopard does come out, it will be brand spanking new. That means that it would be wise to let it mature in the market for a few months before you take it, so that you avoid any teething problems it may have.

SO, find a Mac that meets your needs and go for it now.

T

todd51

I agree with mac57, go ahead and get whatever Mac you want now, and then wait until Leopard is out for a few months.

Once you finally buy Leopard, it should upgrade over Tiger just fine without any problems :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
If you're going from PC to Mac, now is as good a time as any to make the switch because Tiger is as good an OS experience as you're going to get until Leopard comes out, which will just be better.

This will give you some time to get used to the Mac way of doing things.

Besides, if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll end up never buying anything. If you can save some money now, take the opportunity. Leopard isn't going to be more than $129 US when it comes out, and you can watch any issues get resolved within the comforts of your robust, well travelled Tiger using your new, awesome Mac. Then upgrade when the features entice you sufficiently.

I seem to recall that Tiger came out about three months after I bought my first Mac. I upgraded when I got my wife her first Mac (which came with Tiger) and it was great! Now we have recently purchased Macbooks which, when Leopard comes out will probably be upgraded after watching what the buzz is regarding the 'new' OS. Difference here is that most of the new features will probably be supported on this hardware, unlike with the Mac Minis we had. The new Dashboard 'ripple effect' for example was one that if you upgraded a Mini to Tiger it didn't have enough video 'oomph' to see it.

Anyway, rambling on. If you want to get a new Mac, now is as good a time as any.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Don't bother waiting, it could be tomorrow, or it could be six months from now. I said forget about the waiting, and couldn't be happier. I made the switch in December, and just bought my second mac, a 17" MacBook Pro, a couple of weeks ago, and love it. You will, too. :)

Reaction score
Just do it.
c011.gif

Reaction score
we just did it yesterday, I'm on our new MacBook right now, and the iMac has been ordered. the overall build of this laptop is incredible.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
congratulations and good luck with both of them!

let us know if you have any questions!

Reaction score
congratulations and good luck with both of them!

let us know if you have any questions!

is there any way in Safari to turn off the lines underneath the links?

in XP I had it set to 'hover to underline'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Personally, I would wait. There are rumors that Leopard may be out as early as March. There also may be an iMac update between now and then.

I agree that if one constantly waits for the newest thing, they'll never get anything. But a new OS won't come out again for over a year. You can definitely wait for Leopard to come out.

Also, I find that Apple is very quick in getting out the updates. There will always be bugs, but in my opinion that doesn't merit waiting for 3 months to upgrade. I think it's more fun to have it right away, and see it evolve. In my experience, the bug horror stories are rare.

Reaction score
My vote is for your to go ahead and switch now. You are looking at a great price and the Tiger is so much nicer than Windows XP. I was going through the same struggle you are before Christmas '06 over a 24" iMac. I was expecting Leopard to come out at the MacWorld and was going to wait for that. My wife went ahead and got it for me for Christmas. It was well worth getting it at that time.
mikeylee

Reaction score
I generally recommend buying a new computer when you NEED it, regardless of where it is in the lifecycle. If, however, you can wait -- then I guess you really don't need it now. In that case, we all know that Leopard is coming in the next 2 - 4 months and hardware updates are possible any time.

If your discounted price is too good to pass up, then buy now and be happy with your new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I was thinking the same thing you were back when it seemed the Core 2 Duo Macbooks were about to come out. But I decided to bite the bullet and get a 2.0 GHz Core Duo Macbook. This is an awesome machine, and I have no regrets about the Core 2 Duos coming out a few months later. Just do it. :)

Reaction score
i had a similar issue before i purchased my macbook (only got it saturday!) but im glad i bought it now rather then waiting. as some people have said apple tends to keep its cards close to its chest when it comes to announcing things.

go on..press buy..you know you want to!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR3, 160 + 320GB HDD, Gforce 9400m - iPhone 8GB 2.2 T-Mobile
Thanks for all the comments guys.
I've now ordered the 20" iMac (2.16ghz, 1GB Ram, 250GB HD etc). Just hope I can get the beta of Bootcamp working ok as I hear some people have had problems. Before people start booing I really need XP fo a few things I do ;)

Reaction score
I believe that a new release is coming soon, I phoned up to see how my new iMac 24 custom build was coming along and was informed that apple currently have no iMacs or iPods available in their warehouse. They have run out all current stock. Unfortunately, I don't know when I will get my unit now.

Reaction score
they said that leopard will be coming out october.......but it might as well be coming out on the last freaking day of the month......apple likes to keep people freaked out until they actually come out with the product

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Any reason this 5 month old topic was exhumed? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.