Bootcamp XP & Virus'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver
Hi!

I'm thinking of buying an iMac for home. I've been looking into running XP on Bootcamp, but I want to know weather the iMac virus protection will cover the XP as well.

Thanks alot

Zacariem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" macbook pro, 4gb ram
no if you instal xp on bootcamp it is installed on a seperate partition and as such is completelly independent, its just the same as running xp, and your just as susceptable to viruses, obviously these cannot effect osx . . . as they are independent.

Reaction score
teapea is exactly right, when you run XP through Boot Camp it's like you're running a PC in its own little corner of your HDD. It's no more stable or safe than running XP anywhere else. But if you do get a virus, it will not be able to screw up OS X or the files you have on the OS X partition.

Having said that, most of what people normally do online (mail, browse, etc.) can be done in OS X. There's really very little reason to connect to the internet in Boot Camp, except to get OS/software updates or play online games.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver
oh ok that makes sense thanks :)

Zacariem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah, an iMac (or any Mac for that matter) has no virus protection included with it anyway.
Windows is still Windows and will still be vulnerable to viruses no matter how it is installed.:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.