just received my macbook but has some scratches...

nef

Reaction score
Hi my macbook was delivered today...it looks great and the system is cool but I saw that the trackpad has scratches on it which can be seen... they aren't big but i feel like paying $1400 for a notebook it would be flawless at least in the beginning. I was wondering if I could do something about it like take it to the apple store and have them replace it or anything I could do myself or should I not pay attention to the scratches at all..
The scratches look like someone ran their nails or something sharp through the trackpad and some paint wore off..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When I first read scratches, I immediately though refurb. However, since you said it's brand new, I would probably suggest you taking it into the Apple store. I know that the Macbook shouldn't look like that because mine, at 2 months old, is still in pristine condition...well, except for some fingerprints, but that I'll take blame for :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Take it back because you did pay a lot of money and it's under the warranty. You're correct, it should be flawless and if it gets any marks you should be the one who gets to make them. Good luck.

M

MacHeadCase

Yep for a brand new unit, this is highly unusual and unacceptable. So I would recommend you take it back just like other members in this thread have suggested before.

OP
N

nef

Reaction score
So they shouldn't tell me anything for actually using the computer for about half an hour last night right? Put in my name and played with iBooth for a bit.
Thank you all for the help.

M

MacHeadCase

I wouldn't think so. You could always call Apple to make this official. It would be recorded somewhere that you are not satisfied and that it cam like that out-of-the-box with a defect in the cosmetics you are not happy with. Quite understandably so, I want to add.

New is new, not new-ish.

OP
N

nef

Reaction score
just called the apple store they said they can't replace it since I configured it. The only way is if i send it back to apple.com but that will be such a hassle. Do you guys know if I can use any wipes or solution or any stickers lol to put on the trackpad? Or just go ahead and hope I will get sent one without scratches?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
Rubbish! I've just had to send me refurbished MacBook back to apple to be repaired for a faulty backlight and I was told that if I'd called 1 day earlier the retailer would have been abliged to exchange it because it was under 1 month old. Don't take their crap dude, you don't pay top money for a scratched laptop.

Reaction score
When you buy "new" it's because you want to be the one to put your own dirt in/on it!

Just take it back, baby!

M

MacHeadCase

Yes, put your foot down and don't take NO for an answer. You do have rights in the matter.

Take it back in person to the store in its original box and all the documents for the sale, etc. If you do that, they might not want to have a scene so I think they won't give you a go-round in person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
just called the apple store they said they can't replace it since I configured it. The only way is if i send it back to apple.com but that will be such a hassle. Do you guys know if I can use any wipes or solution or any stickers lol to put on the trackpad? Or just go ahead and hope I will get sent one without scratches?

I just purchased a laptop from apple and found that the logo on the front was messed up. Mine as well was configured to order. (I put 1 extra gig of ram in)
383384752_c3c06b5f4f.jpg

I paid 1600 for a computer and I want it to be perfect as should you. I phoned apple and the first guy told me I would have to send it back. So I gave him a bit of an earfull. It's not acceptable to purchase a machine, wait 1 week for it to arrive and have to send it back and wait another week for them to fix a mistake that should never have happened.

What I did and what you need to do is call in and ask to speak to a manager and complain and say what I said before. Tell them that it's their fault and that there needs to be quality control checking these laptops before it goes out and that it's Apples problem that this wasn't done and they need to make it right and sending your computer away and being without it for 1 week is not making it right and not acceptable.

After this they gave me the option to put a charge on my credit card for a new one witch would be refunded when they received the old one and send me out a new one and gave me fedex info to send the blemished one back when I received
the new one.

Don't settle for anything less than that. I also got them to give me 75$ off the price.

This was their problem caused by their negligence and they need to make it right.

Reaction score
I have the same grooves on my macbook. Brand new. My buddy bought his two weeks later...black. He also has the grooves on his. They arnt scratches. I actually think its like that for a reason. I feel it gives me grip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.