How to use Genie thing in Dock?

Reaction score
I was in class the other day and there was a kid sitting like 5 rows ahead of me who was on his mac..

when i have a couple windows up i notice that when i minimize them they just shrink back into my dock..

however in his case...they kind of like arranged themselves as mini windows floating on his screen..which is much easier to navigate if uve got a couple windws open..

does anyone know what im talking about??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Thats Expose. What version of OS X are you using? Its only available in Tiger, triggered with keys F9-F12

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Exposé was introduced to the Mac OS with Panther OS X 10.3. You can configure it with your System Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Thanks DB, I wasn't too sure on that. Its been a while since I've used Panther.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah Exposé was introduced in Panther but Tiger's Exposé has more features/kinds of effects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah Exposé was introduced in Panther but Tiger's Exposé has more features/kinds of effects.
I never thought it had any new or different things from Panther to Tiger, but I could be wrong.
What are the new thingies that weren't in Panther? I wanna find out what they are so I can go and play with them. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Behind the scenes stuff was changed. Probably. Even Apple isn't too sure what they changed. Whatever - you have to get 200+ new features somehow! :)

M

MacHeadCase

Well in Tiger I get three kinds of Exposé: one that entirely clears the window and gets you to the desktop, one that lets you shuffle through all the open apps' windows and one that highlights the front window and greys out the ones in the background.

In Panther, I don't recall anymore than two Exposé actions. It's kinda hard to remember which ones are the same and which is the new one in Tiger because early on while using Panther I adopted only one, the one that gave me access to the desktop. To me that was all I really needed.

So uhm to really give you a good, precise answer here: I dunno. :^)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No: Exposé is exactly the same in Tiger & Panther.
All window, all windows of the current app and desktop have always been your 3 options.

M

MacHeadCase

Really? Hmm maybe one of my F-keys on my old G4 iMac wasn't available for one of those Panther Exposé actions then.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys..
how exactly do i activate it?

i think i have mac os 10.4.8

is that the tiger???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
my f9 and f10 keys dont seem to do anything? When i press them i just get a icon appear on screen but nothing happens. But if i set espose to run by moving into the top corner it works fines. any ideas?

cheers

M

MacHeadCase

thanks for the replies guys..
how exactly do i activate it?

i think i have mac os 10.4.8

is that the tiger???

my f9 and f10 keys dont seem to do anything? When i press them i just get a icon appear on screen but nothing happens. But if i set espose to run by moving into the top corner it works fines. any ideas?

cheers

Go to your System Preferences and spot the Dashboard & Exposé icon. Click on it, that'll be where you activate/set it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

cheers

Try holding the function key (fn) and then press f9 or f10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Well I have again learned something new... As I would sit and use my mouse going back and forth accross my Dock from window to window sometimes hitting the wrong icon I wondered if there was another way to switch between windows... Bamm... Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.