ISP says i need a static ip Video iChat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15” Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD
Okay so at home my ichat video and audio doesn't work it says not enough bandwidth blah blah... i have done so much research and made sure no ports were being blocked and now my ISP says i need a static ip? so annoyed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iChat doesn't require it. iChat just requires the ports to be available. Your ISP must not allow those ports to customers who aren't with Static IP's

OP
hotskate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, i spoke to the owner of the company they do not block any ports what so ever and even showed me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It could also be the other person's connection that is having the bandwidth issues.
I have a friend I video chat with on occassion and the connection on their end is spotty sometimes. I get the same bandwidth messages from time to time.

OP
hotskate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its not the person im trying to do it with because when im on campus or on another ISP it works :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Not sure why then your ISP is claiming you need a static IP for it to work, because I use iChat and do not have a static IP.

What speed of connection are you on? Ask your ISP to define/clarify why you would need a static IP, when many people who have dynamic IPs can use it without problems.

It does sound like port blocking for dynamic IPs to be honest, but as you have sorted that one, I would ask them their exact reasons why you need one.

If it works with another ISP or on campus, then the fault lies with your ISP who seem to be restricting bandwidth for some reason, unless your connection is slow or you are on dialup.

EDIT: If you are using a router and have NAT enabled it could be causing the problem, (owever, do not disable NAT!) Below is a link giving information about possible problems/compatible products and also it lists all the ports that should be open.. If you are running a firewall, then you need to add these ports to the firewall rules if the program is not listed:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

OP
hotskate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its because im behind a NAT network

OP
hotskate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If this helps my audio "connect works" i can hear them and they can hear me but i just can use the videoooooooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhh so freakin annoyed :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.