Always Clean it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So I installed THIS in my Quad yesterday (have not tested it yet). I had been noticing that as I have been ripping DVDs in MediaFork the fan was starting to spin up more often and the temp was rising a bit.

When I took the fan assembly out to start the installation, I found a good inch thick layer of dust across the from grill portion of the G5 processor assembly housing. I was able to roll it off like a little carpet and clean it up. Suddenly the Quad is running quiet and cooler again....
bonk.gif

Note to Self: Clean the silly thing every few months!
yes.gif

Also added another Gb of RAM while I was in there too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I was able to roll it off like a little carpet and clean it up.

Sounds like a pretty easy job. :D

I wont be surprised if I find loads of dust inside my iMac. But until my AppleCare expires I wouldn't do anything like that. Well, your situation is bit different though.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it didn't mod the box in any way that would violate the warranty. It's a card and a few cables added on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
baggss, how tough is it to remove the fan assembly? I might just like to look at mine too - we have a dog, and there is lots of dog hair running around our house. I would not be at all suprised if some of it is inside the Mac at this point! Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
fans just pull out real easy
-chris

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya, the fan literally just slides out. It's designed to be removed to clean the assembly behind it and to install RAM on the motherboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I remember that now that you say it. My PowerMac came with the usual 512MB of RAM. Almost the first thing I did was upgrade it by added another 2GB. I did have to open the box and slide out the fans now that I think about it.

I remember being REALLY impressed with how well the PowerMac case was designed. Everything was so easy. I have upgraded a LOT of PCs in my day, but never have seen anything quite so beautifully put together as the PowerMac. I remember thinking that I understand why it was usually featured in Apple's ads with the cover off - they were justifiably proud of the engineering of the box itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.